Introducing The AoM Library of Random Man Knowledge

by Brett & Kate McKay on May 11, 2010 · 26 comments

in Blog

One thing I’ve noticed about us men is that we love to collect short bits of trivia, facts, and life tips. I have friends who can spout off the World Series Champions going back 50 years and others who can recite long quotes by some dead guy from memory. Then there are the men who know thousands of short tips and pointers on how to do stuff quickly and more effectively. They know where to cast your fishing line in the water or how to tell a good joke. My grandpa comes to mind as a man with this sort of knowledge.

Unfortunately, not all of us know some crusty old man who can pass down those quick bits of man wisdom to us. So I thought it would be cool to create a virtual library filled with manly knowledge where men can come and soak up some manly wisdom. Today I’d like to announce the opening the AoM Library of Random Man Knowledge. Not since the Library at Alexandria or the Library of Congress has there been a library as epic as this one.

How It Works

It’s pretty simple. On every page, you’ll see a card with a short (and, of course manly) tip, quote, or bit of trivia. Below the tip you’ll see a button that says, “Give Me More!” Click it and you’ll be randomly taken to a  new card filled with some more man knowledge. Hence the name “Library of Random Man Knowledge.” Once you’ve digested that bit, you can ask for another random bit of man knowledge. And so on until your brain devours the entire library….

Help the Library of Random Man Knowledge Grow

That is if you actually get to the end of the library. What’s awesome about the Library of Random Man Knowledge is that it will never stop growing. Why? Because YOU can add to the deep reservoir of man knowledge. Simply click on “Add to Library” and make your contribution. Consider your submission as an endowment to this virtual temple of manly learning. Just like an endowment at a real library, your name and hometown will be included with the submission so that posterity may see your contribution to the betterment of men.

What sort of stuff are we looking for in the Library of Random Man Knowledge? I guess it falls into three big categories:

1) Quick, manly tips. You know, those little secrets you picked up from your grandpa or in the Navy. Tips like how to pack a powerful punch, how to navigate without a compass, or how to know when your steak is medium-rare just by touching it. It could even be tips on money, health, and relationships. Just make sure it’s short, useful, and manly.

2) Inspiring manly quotes. We all have a few favorite quotes that inspire us to be better men. If you know one that’s helped you out, share it with us.

3) Manly trivia. This is the fun stuff. It’s information you pull out at a bar or at cocktail parties for small talk. We’re looking for things like Steve McQueen’s favorite beer (Old Milwaukee) or the story of how TR got shot in the chest and went on to give a 90 minute speech before going to the hospital.

We will be exercising editorial discretion on the submissions. If your submission is offensive, spammy, a duplicate, or just lame, we won’t publish it, so if you want to see your name etched in stone, make sure to provide high-quality content.

Right now the Library of Random Man Knowledge has about 100 cards in it. It needs more. Way more. By the end of the month, I’d like to see that number up to at least 1,000. I think we can do it. No. I know we can do it.

With that, I cut the ribbon to the Library of Random Man Knowledge and welcome all to draw from and contribute to its pool of collective man wisdom.

1 Ed May 11, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Having just finished Marcus Aurelius’ Meditations and two biographies on him, I’ve got a few choice quotes of his to add in.

2 Jack Gordon May 11, 2010 at 1:38 pm

WD-40 will get shoe polish out of your carpet or couch.

3 Michael May 11, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Perhaps you could make the “Give Me More” button load the new tip with Ajax? Using some Ajax would make it load more smoothly, avoiding the whole page redraw for the user.

4 Matthew May 11, 2010 at 1:43 pm

“Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”
-Emerson

5 Dave May 11, 2010 at 2:29 pm

“Life is tough. It’s tougher when you’re stupid.”
- John Wayne

6 Justin May 11, 2010 at 2:38 pm

“When an official place is extremely busy and someone comes in thoughtlessly with some business or other, often there are people who will treat him coldly and become quite angry. At such times, the etiquette of a samurai is to calm himself and deal with the situation in a good manner. To treat a person harshly is the way of middle class lackeys”

- From ‘The Book of the Samurai’ by Yamamoto Tsunemoto

7 Brett McKay May 11, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Thanks for the submissions guys, but to be included in the library, you have to submit your knowledge using the form available on the Man Knowledge Library page. Follow the links in the post.

8 Alex Becket May 11, 2010 at 2:59 pm

The King Cobra (Ophiophagus hannah) delivers enough venom in one bite (380-600mg) to kill between 20 and 40 grown men.

9 exyt sygns May 11, 2010 at 3:34 pm

you don’t spit into the wind, you don’t pull the mask off the old lone ranger and you don’t mess around with jim
jim croce

you gotta know when to fold ‘em
know when to hold ‘em
know when to walk away
know when to run
kenny rogers

10 Stephen May 11, 2010 at 5:19 pm

I would say that that interface is crying out for some sort of smart phone app.

11 Ahmed May 11, 2010 at 6:56 pm

I agree with Stephen, I’d love to upload manly things I discover on the move. Perhaps a new section in the iPhone app?

12 Alexander Chebykin May 11, 2010 at 11:51 pm

“Every man I meet is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him.” – Emerson

13 Jack May 12, 2010 at 1:11 am

I love it. Pithy, short, able to be added to.

14 Patryk Andersz May 12, 2010 at 3:47 am

Awesome idea AoM!!!

15 Chris Nelson May 12, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Once again, you’ve demonstrated your preternatural ability to come up with amazing ideas that I wish I’d thought of first. I’ve already made three submissions, and plan to make many more.

16 Juan Martin May 12, 2010 at 10:34 pm

This is a fantastic idea, really helpful!

17 Nathan May 13, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Excellent idea; I hope to add to the collection soon. Scanning mental man library now…

18 Schmidty - Man Vs. Style May 14, 2010 at 8:29 am

A Pocket square on a suit is the most underrated and un-thought-of piece of clothing by all men.

19 John May 14, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Great idea! It’d be nice if you could somehow make it give priority to showing a tip you have yet to see some way; I imagine as this grows repeat tips won’t be much of a problem, but as you read most of the tips it becomes increasingly unlikely for the few you haven’t seen to turn up.

20 PLH May 15, 2010 at 3:37 am

I agree with Michael 100% theres gotta be a better “Give me more” button……. it laggs so much……. does it refresh the entire site everytime I press it..???!?!?!?

21 Daniel C. May 15, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Above-Exhibit A on the sad state of manhood. The pages take like what, a quarter of a second to load? And yet still men say, “Make it faster, faster, faster!” Seriously? This is what people think about and complain about? The story of our lives. I’m not sure how we’ll ever recover our manhood when dipshits have the attention span of a gnat.

22 Johio May 19, 2010 at 5:57 pm

23 Cedrick Allen May 21, 2010 at 12:00 am

” A man without force is without the essential dignity of humanity.Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, though it can pity him, and even this it cannot do long if signs of power do not arise.”

-Frederick Douglass

24 George E. Amon III May 27, 2010 at 1:45 pm

The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary. – Vince Lombardi

25 Bill Mel May 27, 2010 at 11:19 pm

Republic. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, talk free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose. Some words give you a feeling. Republic is one of those words that makes me tight in the throat – the same tightness a man gets when his baby takes his first step or his first baby shaves and makes his first sound as a man. Some words can give you a feeling that makes your heart warm. Republic is one of those words. – John Wayne

26 Eric May 29, 2010 at 2:20 pm

You should add a “Like” button to each one. That way there can be a “top ten” for the week, or the most liked ones will be added to a list or something. This will encourage quality.