Leaving on Vacation

by Brett & Kate McKay on April 19, 2010 · 19 comments

in Blog

We’re heading off for a much needed vacation, and we won’t be updating the site for the next week. We won’t even be checking email. We need to unplug for a bit.

While we’re gone why not explore the site for content you haven’t seen yet? I definitely recommend checking out The Beginner’s Guide to the Art of Manliness. It’s basically a rundown of the most popular content on the site and a great reference for new readers.

After you’ve checked that out, start sifting through our Archives. We have over 700 articles there just waiting to be read.

Also, you might consider picking a book from one of our several manly book lists and reading it while AoM is on vacation. You can probably finish it by the time we get back. I’ll be reading Death in the Long Grass while I’m away.

Finally, perhaps the best option is to do a tech fast too-step away from the computer this week, reconnect with friends or a loved one, get outside to reconnect with nature, or play with your kids. Every man needs to unplug himself every now and then.

See you next week!

1 Chris Mower April 19, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Have fun on your vacation! I’ve been considering one myself. I’ll be looking forward to your posts once you’re back.

For people looking for some good posts on this blog, here are some of my favs:

The Menaissance… http://artofmanliness.com/2010/03/29/the-menaissance-the-death-of-the-metrosexual-and-the-rise-of-the-retrosexual

Starting a Business with Limited Funds… http://artofmanliness.com/2010/02/18/how-to-start-a-business-with-limited-funds

Rites of Passage… http://artofmanliness.com/2010/02/21/male-rites-of-passage-from-around-the-world

2 JR April 20, 2010 at 12:09 am

OK, here’s a tip for those looking to master the art of manliness: Don’t use the expression “favs.”

3 Turling April 20, 2010 at 12:19 am

Or, do some gardening. Shameless plug.

Enjoy your time off and come back with a spring in your step.

4 Nate @ Practical Manliness April 20, 2010 at 12:24 am

Enjoy your vacation!

If you happen to be in the Portland, OR area, let me know… if you want to even think about anything blog-related. ;)

5 Jason Yohman April 20, 2010 at 7:10 am

@Junior – Looking to master the art of manliness? Lay off the jabs, and leave the English lesson for schoolmarms.

@Brett – Enjoy

6 Rod Homor April 20, 2010 at 7:26 am

Brett,

Have a great time. You deserve it. We will all be here when you get back, and hopefully you will be well rested, tan, and ready for your next posts. Be well!

-Rod

7 Pete April 20, 2010 at 7:44 am

Enjoy your vacation. Unplugging is always difficult for me but in the end well worth it.

8 James Milholen April 20, 2010 at 8:05 am

Heh, make sure to enjoy the vacation. I’m looking at a weekend camping trip sometime next month for my “Get away from Technology” time, so no luck this week :)

9 Ryan April 20, 2010 at 8:05 am

Have a good time!

10 David Cox April 20, 2010 at 8:34 am

Death in the Long Grass = Absolutely Awesome. Have fun!

11 Hugo Stiglitz April 20, 2010 at 11:08 pm

I really like the 100 best movies and books list on this site. I am going to work my way through a few of the books and movies this summer.

12 Sergiu April 21, 2010 at 2:57 am

Have fun!

13 Mike in Bend Oregon April 21, 2010 at 11:54 am

Brett and Kate,
I think this would be a great topic for the Art of Manliness.
How to properly recharge and enjoy yourself on a vacation. With all the new technology and reliance on cell phones and email and all the ways to stay in touch with work it can be hard to really let go and enjoy yourself during your time off.
I got hooked on AoM with the Five Fitness Benchmarks Every Man Must Master. Moved on to the 5×5 strength program, it really was the catalyst to getting fit. Only being able to do 2 pull ups when I started I can now do 12 pull ups!

Enjoy the time off!

Mike in Bend.

14 Bruce April 21, 2010 at 2:00 pm

B & K,
Have a wonderful time. Don’t look back. It will all be here when you return!

B

PS: take pictures!

15 Richard | RichardShelmerdine.com April 24, 2010 at 1:43 am

Enjoy your vacation guys. you enjoy it, the content on here has been top notch recently.

16 Rick G April 24, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Enjoy your vacation. My fav vacation is unplug the phone, hide the cars in the garage, don’t read the mail, and pull the front blinds. Next, stock the fridge with your gavorite grub, pick up your favorite books and movies, then ignore the rest of the world for a week,

17 Dan April 25, 2010 at 10:51 am

Hi Brett,
I logged out for seven days for ‘digital detox week’. I was ready to read a full week’s backlog of content, only to find you were unplugged too! Kind of bittersweet to see that I received no urgent emails.

18 Chris Nelson April 27, 2010 at 2:11 am

Krikey! Gone for a week…without you cats around, I may actually forced to post on and read my own blog. Thanks…THANKS A LOT!

19 Joyce July 25, 2010 at 5:45 am