The Menaissance: The Death of the Metrosexual and the Rise of the Retrosexual

by Brett on March 29, 2010 · 123 comments

in Blog

ShareBack in February I gave an Ignite Talk in Tulsa called “The Menaissance: The Death of the Metrosexual and the Rise of the Retrosexual.” If you’re not familiar with Ignite Talks, here’s the jist of the concept from the Ignite Tulsa website:

A dozen or so speakers present on a variety of topics, but they only get 5 minutes and 20 slides. Oh, and their required 20 slides automatically advance every 15 seconds.

I decided to talk about manliness. I discuss the lame stereotypes of manliness that have taken hold in our culture, but then switch gears and talk about some of the signs that indicate a “Menaissance” is taking place in which men are holding themselves to a higher standard.

It was tough to cram all I wanted to say into five minutes. Consequently, I ended up rushing a bit which you notice in the video. But overall, it was a fun experience, and it stretched me a bit personally. And I thought you all might enjoy it as well.

So, without further ado…

1 Alec Corday March 30, 2010 at 12:03 am

It’s about time for a Menaissance! I will from now on use the term Retrosexual. Let’s be … manly men? Well, men’s men, anyway.

2 Ron March 30, 2010 at 12:09 am

Loved it.

3 The G&S March 30, 2010 at 12:29 am

That was a spectacular talk, Brett! I’ve given a pecha-kucha presentation before too, and I found working within the constraints (20 slides of 20 seconds each) to be challenging and exciting.

One thing the talk reminded me of is an image in the header of my blog (linked from my name atop this post– yes, self-promotion, I apologize). An image of a man from the great depression– impoverished, yet boundlessly confident. It’s perhaps the most “manly” photograph I’ve seen. Like a good grandfather, I find this photo inspiration for manliness.

4 The Baltimore Chop March 30, 2010 at 12:40 am

Great Job Brett. Not only was the talk exceptional, the production quality of the video is outstanding.

You’re holding the rest of us to a higher standard.

5 Raconteur March 30, 2010 at 12:53 am

Nice Brett!

I swear, I thought you had a mustache!

I just joined the Freemasons and it’s been the best decision of my life after getting married. Woo!

6 Chris Mower March 30, 2010 at 12:54 am

Oh yeah! Bring on “The Menaissance”! Seriously, it’s about time men buck up and quite whining about work. Get to work, work hard, feel good, and get some hair on your chest. That’s the way grandpa does it, and he’s 90!

7 bostonhud March 30, 2010 at 1:12 am

Brett-
Great job representing the site, and all of us too.
I hope you see this as both a chance to extol our values, and an indicator of the large amount of good work you’ve done.

I do propose a question, however. When the economy finally recovers, what will happen to the value of hardiness and thrift? Will they be replaced?
Something to chew on- no need to respond.

8 Sylvester D March 30, 2010 at 1:17 am

Thank you, I’m a young black male that envies the past for their masculinity and code of ethics. I look toward so many different examples to incorporate that old soul into today’s zeitgeist but it’s never easy doing it alone. Being black also comes with a whole different set of issues also since many of my peers wouldn’t subscribe to an old spirited movement since it was mostly white examples. The blacks that did exist also had a racial overtone(civil rights) and my peers carry that same negativity energy of victimizing themselves. I only hope that this Menaissance can trickle down into my community.

9 Jacoba March 30, 2010 at 6:04 am

Oh yes please!!! Don’t you want to come to South Africa … you’ll have a zillion grateful woman. This is nation of man-boys, dumb-dads and then something you may not have encountered yet, the buffalo (a horrible thing to behold) and a few wannabe metrosexuals (a species most women really loathe) ….

10 Dad of Divas March 30, 2010 at 6:36 am

Very cool! Thank you for doing this and standing up for all of us out here that are trying to be a part of the movement that you are promoting!

11 Etienne March 30, 2010 at 7:00 am

Very well done. No, it did not really seem rushed.
@Jacoba – very funny.

12 Patxi March 30, 2010 at 7:17 am

Excellent presentation skills, you managed very well the constraints of the presentation format.

As of today, I start using the retrosexual label, I find it very appropriate :)

13 Greg March 30, 2010 at 7:35 am

Wow! Nice job. Very well done.

14 Helen March 30, 2010 at 7:45 am

Loved it!! Very good!!

15 Garrett March 30, 2010 at 8:21 am

Great presentation Brett. Next stop – the TED Conference !

16 Dan March 30, 2010 at 9:03 am

Great work there! Love the speech and your presentation was sharp.

Those pecha kucha presentations (20 slides/20 seconds each) are tough aren’t they? I did a number of them in my graduate speech class. They are nice because the speeches do not go for too long (nothing worse than a rambling speech that goes on well past its time limit) and they are usually pretty fun.

Nice work.

17 Johnny Mac March 30, 2010 at 9:22 am

I applaud you, sir.

18 Gregor March 30, 2010 at 9:35 am

That was a bang up job!

Good show.

19 E.Gresham Pollard March 30, 2010 at 9:36 am

Damn fine job on your presentation sir! This type of Information should be broadcast to a larger scale audience. All who receive this link are in agreement as to the idea, design and scope of your presentation. Recipients should, if enthused by this short video, make a point to share it with family and friends via email forwards at the very least. You do sound a bit rushed, sure. Given the parameters you were required to obey, you more than accomplished your intention and I / we the audience clearly grasp that. Thank you

20 Daniel March 30, 2010 at 9:45 am

Gotta say that even though I enjoyed the presentation the condemnation of gaming left a bad taste in my mouth. I think attacking the hobby doesn’t get to what the man-boys’ real problem is; laziness and apathy.

Other than that singular grain of salt it was a great listen.

21 Mike March 30, 2010 at 9:48 am

Great job, Brett! Smooth talk and gave us some things to think about.

22 John W. March 30, 2010 at 9:57 am

Brett,

Fantastic job. It’s really nice to finally hear your voice. You outlined the speech perfectly. Good exposition and three examples of everything. A classic example of masculine rhetoric. Keep the good work.

John W.

23 JG March 30, 2010 at 10:05 am

I’ve got to say, you’re an amazing presenter. I loved that. I think that I will have to forward it to some friends of mine who need a bit of a kick to get them started down the road to retrosexuality.

24 Turling March 30, 2010 at 10:13 am

That was spectacular! Very well done.

25 Jody Dawkins March 30, 2010 at 10:20 am

But I *like* looking at Megan Fox!! :P

Seriously, great presentation! I see this trend working hand-in-hand with the need for Americans to put away they’re consumerist habits and return to their roots as producers.

26 Michael March 30, 2010 at 10:20 am

Our grandfathers and Theodore Roosevelt would’ve socked you in the nose if you’d called them a retrosexual.

27 Davy Haynes March 30, 2010 at 10:21 am

Manly and statesmanlike.

28 JD Ward March 30, 2010 at 10:23 am

Brett – my first time to see you present as I’m new to A of M. I was very impressed with your presentation. When I was a teen, 30 years ago, I read a book titled “Man of Steel and Velvet” by Aubrey Andelin. Have you read it? This was in the 70′s and at that time we knew before the rise of the Metrosexual, men were being emasculated with the current rise of feminism [in the negative sense] along with the gay rights emerging.
Anyway, I appreciate your efforts!!

29 Mike at The Big Stick March 30, 2010 at 10:23 am

Great talk Brett! We’re going to bring manliness back one blog, speech and well-tailored suit at a time! The dirty little secret no one wants to admit to is that girls love a guy who can change a flat, throw a horseshoe and doesn’t check the calorie count before he eats lunch.

30 The Plainsman March 30, 2010 at 10:34 am

Brett,

Good work, my friend. If you are ever in Denver or anywhere in Colorado, let me know. I’d love to sit for coffee and chat.

The Plainsman.

31 OkieRover March 30, 2010 at 10:46 am

I’m all in. Retrosexual for me and mine. Well done.

32 Nathan Phelps March 30, 2010 at 11:00 am

Brett, you did a fantastic job. This talk has become the most viewed Ignite Talk from Oklahoma. Congratulations!

33 Kevin March 30, 2010 at 11:22 am

Very well done, talks like that aren’t easy and you nailed it. Now, back to WoWIII (just kidding).

Keep up the good work.

34 Warren March 30, 2010 at 11:27 am

Very well spoken Brett.

Doing one of these talks sounds like a challenge i should try for my next project

35 Jim Beidle March 30, 2010 at 11:50 am

Bravo Zulu!

36 Gregory Zummo March 30, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I’d like to see you give a similar talk in a format that allows you to go deeper into the subject. I think it would allow you to emphasize the unintentional side effects of feminism, and why this largely positive movement has had so much negative impact on manliness. Women need to understand that it is this aspect of the movement that most men tend to object to, not the issue of woman’s rights and the elimination of anti-female bias.
Great job on an important subject. Thanks for sharing this with the community. Now I think I’ll go chop some wood or hunt a moose. LOL

37 Ifor Williams March 30, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Great talk, very slick and informative!

38 Ben March 30, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Preach on! Happy to be a part of the Menaissance. It was important that you mentioned the “Menaissance” is not about oppression but rather the rebirth of the principals and resolve of the great men from past generations…and barber shops.. good work.

39 Horacio March 30, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Well Done!

Congratulations, Brett. A real defense of the true manliness!

40 jeffwong March 30, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Is feminism and women entering the workplace really to blame for men addicted to the comforts of and not willing to challenge themselves?

Or is it because of the immense structural change in the character of the economy that de-emphasizes “manly” manufacturing work? (which is either easy to automate or ship overseas).

People these days are paralyzed by choice as well as the increasing specialization of society.

41 Andy March 30, 2010 at 1:42 pm

It is interesting that all of a sudden there is a large resurgence of “manly” things. I do find all of this pretty cool. Also, I think there should be a better term for this movement than “retrosexual.” It sounds a little odd

42 AG March 30, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I believe that by targeting feminism in such an off handed manner, you’re missing the mark if only because of how quickly you rushed over it.
Actually, I’m fairly sure that you’ve got good ideas regarding the subject considering that your blog utilizes a lot of ideas that come from the cultural studies background in order to promote masculine virtues against the tide of consumerism and man-boyhood.
I think its a subject that you should devote more time to, rather than focusing on how feminism has damaged manhood than how it in some ways is part of your “menaissance.” I think that women are dealing with precisely the same damaging factors as men today. They’ve been sold the same set of inane beliefs as we have. Rather than focusing on strength, intelligence, and resiliency, both men and women have been sold the cheap virtues of consumerism, greed, and thoughtlessness. These are the real reactionary forces in our society.
By creating strong individuals, we create a stronger community. Just look at Barack and Michelle Obama. I think that as a couple they exude a kind of discipline and well-roundedness that makes Barack a very masculine man, and Michelle very feminine. And whatever your politics, this couple at one time brought people together in a way that made them think strongly about their communities and what they can do for them. The values that the “menaissance” proclaims are not exactly “retro” values–they have a character of nostalgia, but they’re really about how we define ourselves in the present. By being a community creative of values, we can combat the cultural attention deficit disorder and be more firmly and resolutely ourselves. This is a very Greek idea of individualism: by becoming the best individuals we can be, we create our culture, and we lead by example. Its not the kind of individualism that the mall culture sells us, whereby we’re all in a race to see who has the coolest hairdo.

43 Chris Mower March 30, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Just a thought… when’s the Manaissance Fair?

44 Piper March 30, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Great and thanks for the plug on my Fraternity, not all lodges are seeing an increase in membership, but those that are providing the mentorship and insites that our younger members come seeking are, not growing in lots of members, but more importantly in quality of members. At 50 I am a member of Masonry’s lost generation, everybody is 20 years my senior or junior, and those of the younger generation are starting to outnumber the older.

45 bob v March 30, 2010 at 3:25 pm

This is a great style for getting yor point across and keeping the audience engaged. It takes a lot of rehearsing.

Great Job

46 Jim March 30, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Great video Brett, I heartily endorse this set of ideals and I love reading AOM e-mails in my inbox every day.

47 Dave C. March 30, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Well done, sir! As a Toastmaster of 13 years, I must say you handled the presentation well by focusing on your audience, handling a difficult presentation format with little or no issues and presenting a topic in a way that neutral or detracting listeners would have definite facts and your agreement or refuting of. Keep up the great work!

48 Matt March 30, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I like what your saying, and believe the movement can surely gain momentum if it weren’t for the term “Retrosexual” bringing it to a screeching halt. How about calling us “Men”? I’d like to reclaim that designation… That being said, Thanks for sharing.

49 Scott March 30, 2010 at 4:00 pm

That was great! I could feel the nervous energy in the presentation, and the response from the crowd was very encouraging. Well done!

50 Johnny March 30, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Very well done indeed, It gladens me to see how far you have and are going with the Aom, keep on rockin!

51 Brucifer March 30, 2010 at 4:32 pm

@ Sylvester D –
Fredrick Douglas knew what manly respect was — how to gain it and how to give it. Alas, too many of your contemporaries whine about “disrespectin” but they themselves, know little about it. Model yourself after Fredrick Douglas and you will become an excellent role model yourself..

@ AG -
Part of the problem is that there are far too many “fair weather feminists” out there who essentially, want their cake and eat it too. They want all the rights but, then to cherry-pick the responsibilities. Women too, are these days often totally confused about what they actually want in a man. Therefore, they gravitate toward the metrosexuals and the boy-men whom they can conveniently control and keep at arms-length. That would be no trouble, except that those same women then incessantly whine about what boorish louts they ended up with! That’s messed-up! Thankfully, one of the tennents of the Retrosexual is that he, unlike the metrosexual and the man-boy, is not beholden to or driven by what women think, one way or the other.

52 Clarke March 30, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Bravo!

53 James Fowlkes March 30, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Word aapp! That was an awesome presentation, Brett! I love the concept of 5:20 and 20 slides. Great idea!

54 Max March 30, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Excellent presentation, especially under the clock. I noticed you had to quell the audience when you said “feminism.” I think you would avoid that if the slide said “the unintended consequences of feminism” so there is no room for the audience to make assumptions.

55 Christopher Hall March 30, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Great talk Brett.

56 Steve G March 30, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Fantastic Brett. Read a great deal of your articles, you’ve been gracious enough to respond to my emails, and i’ve listened to the podcast, but this is the first time I’ve seen you in action as it were. Great talk, really captured the exact reason I visit the AOM almost every day. I agreed with all of it, and I think the 3 second summary of generational cycles is about as concise and insightful an argument as I’ve ever seen. Congratulations again.

57 Dan Alcantara March 30, 2010 at 7:24 pm

This absolutely made my day.

58 Matt Krachunis March 30, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Brother Brett you NAILED it! I’m pastor who preaches 3 times a week 50 weeks a year for the past 7 years and I have to say- you have fantastic public speaking ability. Way to go. Great talk. Great info. Keep it coming!

59 Ryan March 30, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Awesome.

60 thorn March 30, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Very well done. I am pleased that you made the point that the Menaissance is NOT about regressively “putting women in their place”. I love being in the workforce! I like working hard and accomplishing things that I can take pride in, just like any man would, and I love my job. It’s the most important thing in the world to me. So, I always feel a bit queasy at the suggestion that women entering the workforce or academic pursuits in large numbers has somehow been harmful to men and therefore must be stopped.

But, to my relief, you argue that the unintended harm these developments may have done to men is not corrected by pushing or persuading women backwards, but by encouraging positive reclamation of a self-reliant, mature character for men. And thank you for that.

61 Core March 30, 2010 at 8:20 pm

@Vid
Interesting.

It’d be nice for you to post a vlog, of things you would of liked to expand on in your vid.

62 Eric Granata March 30, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Nice job, Brett! That point about our grandfather’s generation is inspiring. Great production value on that video, too.

63 Bill March 30, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Great speech. I think we’ll all be for the better with the resurgence of the retrosexual.

64 theRealMan March 31, 2010 at 3:57 am

Fantastic speech. There is a movement in this direction. We have to change, for our sake, and off cours for women’s sake ;)

65 Derrick March 31, 2010 at 5:42 am

Great job Brett.Rally good to hear your thoughts so nicely articulated.I do not think the menaissence has started here in Ireland yet where the the beer swiller still seems to be the image many men go for,thinking its hard and butch.So thank you to you and your good lady wife for all the great content on the site.You have made me a believer,best of luck .

66 Craig March 31, 2010 at 11:48 am

When I told my wife that I realized I was a retrosexual, she just rolled her eyes. I think that was her way of saying she supports my decision whole-heartedly.

67 Lyndon March 31, 2010 at 11:53 am

Awesome! I’m going to link to it to spread the word to my 5 readers.

68 EG March 31, 2010 at 12:04 pm

As a 23yr old male who grew up without a father, I only had a brief encounter with my Grandfather and some stories about one of my uncles to guide me. Growing up, I got bits and pieces on being a man from men in movies, a few encounters with teachers, co-workers and a guy my mom dated. In the last few months, I have been fortunate to have real male influences around me. All thanks to a very good friend of mine and his introduction to Freemasonry, old and young, our lodge is a mixed group of men from various walks of life and occupations. Now with the teachings of Freemasonry, the camaraderie of the Lodge, and the articles featured on this website, I have the tools and aid to help me become a better person and a better man. Thank you Brett and to all those who help and contribute to this website.

69 Sunny March 31, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Amazing!!! I put this on facebook. What an awesome reminder of what men should be like. I’m a fan!! The more men are men the more I feel like a lady.

70 Mavors March 31, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Hi mister McKay,
I find this presentation rather interesting, it definitely goes along with the content of this blog (fine blog by the way),
However, I would like to raise some suspicions about the correlation established between manliness as you describe it and freemasons.
Factly speaking, the masons are much closer to a sect than a fraternity.
I don’t want to start a polemic, but you seem to put forth values that are very close to biblical christianity (as opposed to modern christianity) and it occured tome tat, since you are from an american background you may lack some objectivity to see that this organisation isn’t the best part of bringing the retro to our present days.

I acknowledge that I haven’t thoroughly examined this topic and that my background is very subjective on Cathars and Freemasons. Consider this a friendly reader’s advice from someone who’s job it is to read a lot.

-m

71 Ron March 31, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Nice! No actually F@#$IN Execellant

72 Valerie March 31, 2010 at 5:20 pm

What an awesome talk. As a young woman looking around the sea of potentials, it’s really good to see sites like this one encouraging men to grow up and be “real” men. To ditch the Prada man-purses, put the game controller down, and stop wearing clothes 10 sizes too big for them. None of it is endearing to women who really want a strong, capable partner in life.

I absolutely love this site. I hope it’s ok that I read it so much, as a girl! I email posts to the men in my life as I read ones that apply to them. :-)

73 Mike March 31, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Great job with the content and format! You made it look easy.

74 Terry March 31, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Nice one Brett. Great topic and content….you did well!

75 Mauricio March 31, 2010 at 10:11 pm

Wow that was great! I am twenty years old and I too find myself drifting to the days of yore. I am saving up to buy a straight razor and a classic suit. Most importantly, I have been looking back and taking the lessons that men like Roosevelt and my grandfather have laid out for me. You really touched home with this presentation. Aces buddy!

76 Frank March 31, 2010 at 10:49 pm

@Mavors, regarding Freemasons. To quote Henry Rollins: Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t. From your post, I understand that your “job” requires you to read a lot and you can read all you want but until you experience it for yourself, you won’t fully understand it. Those interested in Freemasonry come of their own free will, we do not enforce any religion and we do not oppose any religion, all that is asked is that they believe in a supreme being. You get what you put into it. At least thats how it is in the in my area, I understand that it may vary across the world and it seems by your post that you may live outside of the USA. I apologize if I came across as rude but the Freemasonry I know is different from what you have read. Consider this friendly advice from someone who is a Mason.

77 Mavors April 1, 2010 at 12:13 am

@Frank,
I certainly do not wish to discredit the fraternity to whom you belong, I am someone who simply like to put things in perspective. As I said, my intention isn’t to start a polemic.
I find the system of ranking a good way gather people with power together, and this triggers some warnings, among with other things. It is also very similar to the Cathars which isn’t necessarily the best analogy regarding fraternities.
However, you are quite right in saying that reading is one thing and experiencing is another, I find that there is very little to be known as to what happens within the Masons gathering, much secrecy indeed.
But I do know that there isn’t one significant political figure who isn’t part of it.
To put it midly, it simply smells fishy.

But I digress, I respect our divergence of opinions, moreover, I enjoyed the presentation, but didn’t think it was necessary to put forth the Freemasons.

-m

78 Johnny the Freemason April 1, 2010 at 1:26 am

Well done sir! And thanks for the Masonic ‘plug’… I forwarded this to all of my fraternal brothers!

@Mavors,
While probably not meant to be offensive, as a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons (Minnesota) and a Sir Knight of York Rite Masonry’s Order of the Temple; your comment(s) were less than graceful.

And as a STAUNCH Feinian Irish Catholic/Cistercian Reformist, paralleling the Cathars/Albigensian heresy to the Masons is insulting on the point of being unforgivable.

79 Keith Minikus April 1, 2010 at 3:09 pm

This is absolutely awesome. I am going to take the term retrosexual. I am so tired of the affliction shirts, the overly tanned men, the lack of mechanical know how, and everything else metrosexual. This is an incredible site and really appreciate all of your hard work. It was time we had something like this, now lets get the manolution started!

80 Michael Lupia April 1, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Great presentation, Brett! It truly speaks to the core of the Art of Manliness: reigniting the values and traditions of old, while ignoring some of the outdated social stigmas like sexism, racism and homophobia. You certainly rose to the challenge for men!

81 the goods April 1, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Love the ideas, but my grandfather and his generation would think of a better term than retrosexual–just cant picture gramps using that one under any circumstance.

82 Claire April 2, 2010 at 12:35 am

Of course Theodore Roosevelt and our grandfathers wouldn’t have used the term “retrosexual”-they were the originals! There was nothing retro about them! I mean duh guys.

83 EB April 2, 2010 at 6:01 pm

I was so disappointed to hear a well-respected person like yourself partly blame the feminist movement for having “weakened” men and made them into metrosexuals.
It’s true that there are huge stigmas against feminism these days – thanks a few idiots like Andrea Dworkin who gave the entire movement a bad image – but the truth is, we all owe a lot to early suffragettes like Elizabeth Cady Stanton for forging a path into the future where (generally) men and women both can live as we choose. They were NOT manhaters – many of them were happily married with children, and the ones that remained single certainly didn’t do it out of disgust for men.
More than just women’s rights they also fought for a cap on the amount of hours an employer could make you work and for paid sick days, as well as against child labor, etc.

Every time someone puts down feminism as “weakening” men, it hurts the credibility of women who are just trying to get fair treatment.

Plus, feminism doesn’t argue men to wear eyeliner and carry handbags!? In fact I have found the more vain the man the bigger the chauvinist he is.

As a feminist woman (who wears dresses, heels, and lipstick every day mind you), I am for more retrosexual men!

84 Joe April 2, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Brett, great speech, but slow down and talk more slowly.
I have the same problem. Fast brains, slow mouth.

85 joe April 2, 2010 at 8:05 pm

@EB. You missed the entire point. A shame.

86 Alexander April 3, 2010 at 1:23 am

Good Job, Brett.

You are a skilled public speaker. The tone, the gestures, and the material were spot on. The only negative was a your pace.

I enjoyed the message of the speech tremendously. It is great that more men are becoming familiar with the art of manliness (both the blog and the ability).

87 Mick April 3, 2010 at 3:42 am

Amazing speech Brett! Wish it was longer, I’m sure you’ll do another one. Good job again, keep up the good fight.

@EB. Did you listen to the speech and or have you read anything on this site? Cause if so it saddens me but like “joe” said, you have completely missed the point.

88 Cal April 3, 2010 at 10:49 am

Well done, Mate

89 Kevin Morgan April 3, 2010 at 5:18 pm

An excellent talk, but instead of “retrosexual” how about man and men. I was good enough for
Dad and Grandpa it’s good enough for us.

90 GPear April 5, 2010 at 9:29 am

Nice piece of work, Brett. Definitions were great. What would you do different if you had 2o minutes?

91 Brian April 5, 2010 at 2:27 pm

@Johnny the Freemason

I’m sure you are a good lad and all and one of my best friends is a card carrying Freemason and I know they do some good work, but to claim to be a staunch Irish Catholic and a Fenian (note spelling) and still be a Freemason is utterly untenable.

92 Dennard April 5, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Well done, Brett.

93 Brian April 5, 2010 at 2:48 pm

By the way, great job Brett! Love it!

94 NK April 6, 2010 at 5:35 am

This might be my favorite post on AOM.

95 Alan April 6, 2010 at 8:30 am

LOL, The male version of a feminists! LOL, you guys are just as bad.
Weak and soft? Bullshit… What is a weak or soft man? It sounds like you just want to control what is considered manly or what might be seen as masculine.
Mad men? LOL, Dirty Jobs? I love it, stereotypes the same. LOL
I take it back, your not the male version of a feminists. You’re the male version of a female anti-feminist.

This sound just like displaced homophobia! I love how this website continually ignores the homosexual MAN, never allowing him to ever be part of this hyper elitist ‘man’ image.

96 Angel April 6, 2010 at 7:14 pm

@Alan

I love the material on the site and the speech. In the end I think it’s about picking and choosing what applies to you. I’ve don’t watch Mad Men because it goes against what my definition of a man is. Dirty Jobs…that’s alright I guess but it doesn’t really affect my being a man in any way. I’m a gamer, I have a girlfriend that works very hard, I work too. I play video games because it’s a hobby. I don’t carve ducks, or shave with dopper kits or wear a bowler hat. I don’t wear tweed, work at a factory, or have a job where a suit is required or go to a Masonic Lounge. I was reading the Art of Manliness book and while a good portion seems right (the ettiquette and such) some of it I just don’t go by because it doesn’t appeal to me. It’s a paradox to say women working confused men of their roles. What does that say about a man’s integrity? I just don’t see how there is a link there. Homosexuality shouldn’t be an issue as long as they (I know many who are) are as “manly” as men but just with a male partner as opposed to a female one.

Either way I am not trying to be rude so if there is something I have written that anyone can clarify that would be great.

97 Anon. April 7, 2010 at 4:03 pm

@ Alan

Alan, you sound like my wife by writing “I love how this website continually ignores the homosexual MAN, never allowing him to ever be part of this hyper elitist ‘man’ image.” Now I don’t know about your preferances and frankly I don’t care. But I would imagine that a “manly man” (gay or straight) wouldn’t whine about it.

Sincerely -
Anon

98 Jim April 8, 2010 at 3:48 am

Excellent!

Jim

99 Reuben Canada April 8, 2010 at 12:18 pm

I love the site and the video was right on point. I am in total agreement!

100 Chris Nelson April 10, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Brett – incredibly astute analysis, which reaffirms what you and everyone here has been thinking and adds the foundation of why we’re thinking it, although I have one word for you – Ritalin.