Announcing the Launch of the Art of Manliness Book!

by Brett & Kate McKay on October 5, 2009 · 43 comments

in Blog

Art of Manliness

Well it’s been over a year in the making and Kate and I are proud to announce to launch of the Art of Manliness book!

borders_logo amazon barnsandnoble

Why an Art of Manliness Book?

I’ll level with you, there are a ton of “man skill” books out there. But while they offer advice on how to make  a potato gun and get a stripper’s phone number, they don’t point the way towards becoming a better man. And there are also books out there about the philosophy of manliness. But they don’t offer any practical advice for putting those theories into practice. What hasn’t been available is a book that combines both fun and substance. A book that provides plenty of “how-to” tips, while situated in the context of becoming the best man you can be. Until now.

If you enjoy the Art of Manliness website, you can now have some of our best advice all in one place, in one comprehensive, nicely formatted, handsomely illustrated whole. The Art of Manliness book is also fantastic for the husband, brother, boyfriend, or son that you’ve been trying to turn on to the website. The book is perfect for both boys and men who want to better themselves.

About the Art of Manliness Book

We’ve made an About page just for the book where you can  look around, learn more about the book, and even read a whole chapter from the book. Check it out.

Buy the Art of Manliness Book-Get Our New Ebook, the “Man’s Guide to the Holidays,” for FREE

In honor of this first week of the book launch, we are offering an awesome, unbeatable deal. We’ve just completed a new ebook: Man’s Guide to the Holidays. There are plenty of holiday guides out there for women, but until now there’s never been anything specifically written for men. The ebook will teach you all the skills a man needs to know to make the holidays a magical and festive time. The book is priced at $9.95, but until Monday, October 12th, if you buy a copy of the Art of Manliness book, you can get the Man’s Guide to the Holidays absolutely free. Two books for the price of one! See this page for details.

Support the Art of Manliness Book Launch

We can’t afford a fancy publicist to get the word out about the book, so we’re relying on the Art of Manliness army to trumpet the book far and wide. We’d love to really put manliness on the map! Right now the media seems to ignore the fact that there are men and women out there who are tired of men simply being presented and marketed to as dumb brutes. Let’s get people talking about this emerging movement towards honorable manliness!

Here are some ways you can help us get the word out about the book:

• Buy the book on Amazon on Monday, October 5. If you’re planning on buying the book, buy it on Monday. We’d like to get as high on Amazon’s bestseller list on Monday as humanely possible, which can generate some additional exposure for the book.
  • If you liked the book, please post a review on Amazon and let other people know.
  • Tweet the Art of Manliness book page to your friends.
  • Put an overlay of the book in your Twitter avatar.
  • Share a link to the Art of Manliness book page on Facebook.
  • Ask your local bookstores if they are carrying the book.
  • If you have a blog, blog about the book.
borders_logo amazon barnsandnoble

1 Joe Attardi October 5, 2009 at 12:45 am

Congratulations on getting the book published!!
Any plans to publish it on the Amazon Kindle, by any chance?

2 Shane B October 5, 2009 at 1:00 am

Awesome news guys, and congrats! Can’t wait to read the book.

3 Brett McKay October 5, 2009 at 1:48 am

@Joe-

I’m not sure about that. I’ll have to check with the publisher….

4 Luke - AspiringGentleman October 5, 2009 at 1:53 am

Congratulations. Can’t wait to get my hands on a copy.

5 Guillaume October 5, 2009 at 2:25 am

Seeing as I don’t posess a credit card or any other item that I can use to buy on the net, I need to buy it in person.

I live in Montreal, and I was wondering, would you happen to know where the book is sold?

6 Ammon October 5, 2009 at 2:36 am

Wow! Congrats, on the book, Brett! Unfortunately, I won’t be able to pick up a copy until after the holidays when I get back to the US, but I’m definitely looking forward to reading this.

A few questions: Is it available only via Amazon? Will it be available at national book chains? Will the book be available as an eBook or audiobook?

Keep up the great content and thanks for sharing.

7 Teejay October 5, 2009 at 3:12 am

Will there be a electronic version of the book? If there is I’d probably be the first to buy.

8 K.C. October 5, 2009 at 3:51 am

Huge congratulations on the book!!

I am extremely excited to get multiple copies of it. I know I’ll be getting it for my dad for Christmas, in addition to myself, and at least a couple for friends.

Thanks for providing a wonderful site and now published material for us readers Brett and Kate!

9 Jonathan October 5, 2009 at 8:12 am

Just bought the book off Amazon.

I look forward to reading it. Going to take a couple of weeks to ship it to my fair island, though.

10 David October 5, 2009 at 8:29 am

Congratulations on publishing this book.
I’m looking forward to receive my own copy of it, but as I live in Germany I’m not sure when it will be shipped over.
I also have got a question to the “Free Bonus Holiday eBook”, I’m not sure whether my copy of your book will arrive by Monday, October 12. What can I do to get the eBook for free anyhow?

11 Robert October 5, 2009 at 8:39 am

Congratulations.

I’m just hoping Amazon stays true to form and ships to ‘Old Blighty’ faster than they estimate…

12 Brett McKay October 5, 2009 at 9:06 am

Thanks for the support guys!

@Ammon-

-It’s available online at Amazon, B&N, Borders, and maybe other places. We’re focusing sales on Amazon today, but we’ll put up more links later. And it should be available at Borders and B&N bookstores this week. Feel free to buy it from any establishment you’d like.

-I’m not sure about the ebook/audio book question-that’s up to the publisher. Probably won’t be an audiobook-lots of “how-to” sections that wouldn’t be too interesting read aloud.

13 Adam October 5, 2009 at 9:16 am

I’ve gotten a lot of enjoyment out of your site. After reading, I’ll put it on the shelf next to _The Modern Man’s Guide to Life_ and _How To Be a Gentleman_. I’ll be buying the book today!

14 Wes October 5, 2009 at 9:17 am

Congrats guys, been loving the blog of late and I wish you all the success for the book which you deserver,

15 John October 5, 2009 at 10:26 am

I didn’t realize that you guys are based out of Tulsa! Refreshing to realize that the internet’s most manly domain is operated just a couple of hours north. Boomer Sooner and such. Hopefully the holiday guide has some advice for Halloween. It’s tricky to celebrate Halloween as a 20-something man without looking like chaperone to intoxicated sex-obsessed schoolboys.

16 Philip Moon October 5, 2009 at 10:54 am

Congratulations on the book. I just placed my order.

Is this book just the posts by you and Kate or does it include community member contributions as well? This could give aspiring writers a chance to build their resume and even nonaspiring contributors can have the book prominently displayed in their homes as a point of pride and recognition of their manliness.

I’m going to send a request to my local libraries suggesting that they purchase a copy of the book for their collections. Libraries are cutting back acquisitions due to the bad economy, but if enough men show enough interest in the book it’ll encourage the libraries to buy and make available to the book to general browsers and people who may not have the means for purchasing books in the current economy.

17 Andy October 5, 2009 at 11:00 am

The book is great. It will help expand the Art of Manliness to men who prefer non-internet mediums. Well done.

18 Jonathanwthomas October 5, 2009 at 11:25 am

Congrats guys! Purchased it without a second thought! Can’t wait to read it.

19 Jason October 5, 2009 at 11:44 am

My book is on order.
Thanks.

20 Dan October 5, 2009 at 11:50 am

Where is the book sold for $9.95? The Amazon link has it starting at $11.55 (with the actual list price being $16.99).

21 Dan October 5, 2009 at 11:54 am

My credit card was stolen….once my replacement comes in, I will order this book. Looking forward to it.

22 Tamara Piety October 5, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Bought the book Brett. Will probably get it for my brother-in-law and any other man I know who might enjoy this. But I fully expect you and Kate to find a moment one of these days to autograph my copy — not to mention to return the favor and buy my book if it ever emerges from the publisher! :-) Seriously, this wonderful news. Congratulations to you both! Well done.

23 Damilola October 5, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Got turned on to this site through a few different links. I am currently subscribed and will be looking forward to reading more articles and purchasing the book.

24 Ed October 5, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Purchased. Sitting at #36 on Amazon right now it seems.

25 Barbara October 5, 2009 at 1:36 pm

Why does the book list for $11.55 not $9.99?

26 Brett McKay October 5, 2009 at 1:42 pm

@Philip-
It’s just Kate and I’s writings. Thanks for requesting the book at your library-that’s awesome.

@Dan-
It’s the “Man’s Guide to the Holidays” ebook that will be $9.95 when we sell it on the site. But this week it’s free when you buy the Art of Manliness book. The cheapest price for the AoM book is on Amazon as you said for $11.55.

@Tamara-
Thanks! Hopefully we’ll do a book signing in Tulsa. And of course we’ll return the favor! What’s your book about?

27 Playstead October 5, 2009 at 2:31 pm

That is awesome — it’s tough to get published today. Love the cover too. Can’t wait to buy and review it.

28 Michael October 5, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Up to 33rd at 12:30 PT.

29 Jason October 5, 2009 at 5:02 pm

Just bought a copy for myself

30 valentin martinez castillo October 5, 2009 at 5:33 pm

Espero contestes mi mail, no se que significa todo esto, pero lo que si se es que me gustaria saber mas. Si puedo recibir informacion en español, aun cuando sea sencilla, podre entender. Espero Recibir respuesta.
Ah, y muchas felicidades mentes brillantes.

31 Julian October 5, 2009 at 6:51 pm

Perfect timing! Just ordered a copy for a good friend of mine. It’s his birthday this week and I think he’d really dig this.

32 Theodore Kruczek October 5, 2009 at 8:22 pm

Just purchased my copy this morning. Excellent site, I can only expect the same from the book.

33 Sean F. October 6, 2009 at 1:26 am

I got my copy in a few days ago. What a fantastic book. Thanks for putting this out.

34 Michelle October 6, 2009 at 7:06 am

Congrats on the book Brett and Kate, I’ve been a lurking reader for a while now and always been impressed by your content, and whilst it’s great to read it on the screen, there’s something just a little bit special about being able to hold content in your sweaty palms.

35 Shawn October 6, 2009 at 10:20 am

Just bought the book on Amazon yesterday, can’t wait to read it!

36 Carlos Infante October 6, 2009 at 9:48 pm

Bought my book last night. I’m really looking foward to reading it.

37 Hayden Tompkins October 6, 2009 at 11:31 pm

“take your manliness on the go”

Best. Line. Ever.

38 Philip moon October 7, 2009 at 8:24 am

I got this book in yesterday, the day after I ordered it, and I hadn’t even paid extra for shipping. I can’t wait to start reading.

39 AugustusTheRed October 8, 2009 at 9:39 am

Brett, Kate
any news on when the book will be available to your UK readership? Amazon.co.uk arent giving any dates
Thanks

40 John October 9, 2009 at 1:14 pm

I bought a copy the day it came out…it was so awesome that I bought six more for gifts. Seven copies in one week!

41 Robert Disque October 17, 2009 at 2:52 pm

I went to my local book/video store today. I asked them why they didn’t carry The Art of Manliness book. They told me that if someone showed an interest in the book (ie order a copy) they would order two more copies to put on the shelves. So naturally I had them order another copy for me. Hastings now has at least two copies on the shelves. If anyone gets the chance check out your local bookstore and ask them to get a couple of copies on their shelves.

42 Matthew November 1, 2009 at 7:43 am

I ordered a copy of The Art of Manliness book from Amazon last week and it was waiting for me when I arrived home Friday evening(I’m a truck driver). The information in the book is incredible, truly second to none and I will be reading it for quite some time to come. Thanks for a very well written and timely book which all men today should read and take to heart.