Get the 30 Days to a Better Man eBook!

by Brett & Kate McKay on August 10, 2009 · 27 comments

in Blog

30daysbmlogo

This past June, The Art of Manliness ran a month long series called 30 Days to a Better Man. We got a very positive response from it and many of you told us that you found it very helpful. After the series was over, we received many requests from readers to put the series together in an a easy to read and formatted PDF eBook that they could print off and go through at their own speed.

Well, I finally it got it done. I spent a lot of time working on this bad boy, but I think the effort was well worth it. It looks nice and I’ve added some spiffy worksheets at the end of each task that you can use to help you make your progress on becoming a better man. This turned out to be the size of a regular book. It’s a little over 90 pages long. Because it’s PDF, you can print more than one book page on a printer page. You can put two to a page and create a small book. If you really want to save paper, put three to a page.

Here’s a preview of what it looks like:

ebook1

ebook3

Mantastic! How can I get it? If you’d like to download the book, click on this link. You’ll be taken to a PayPal page, where you can securely pay $5 and download the file.

Why are you charging for the eBook? The cost is to cover the time I spent putting this bad boy together. I kept the price nominal because 1) I wanted everybody to afford it if they wanted it and 2) the content is already available online.

Can you still access the posts online for free? You betcha. You can still go through all the Better Men posts online for absolutely free. They’re not going anywhere. The draw of the eBook is the convenience of being able to print it off and take it with you and the worksheets I added.

Again, if you’d like download the eBook, click here and pay $5 via Paypal. Paypal accepts credit cards.

1 Hey August 10, 2009 at 4:21 pm

Why don’t you upload to Lulu.com so people can buy physical copy and you can get cash?

2 Brett August 10, 2009 at 4:24 pm

If there’s sufficient demand for a physical copy, I will definitely look into that. It’s not formatted for Lulu as it is now, so I would have to spend more time reformatting it. So I’ll have to see if there’s interest there first.

3 Steve August 10, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Bought it, thanks!

4 princewally August 10, 2009 at 5:03 pm

I’d be interested in the Lulu version, if it existed.

5 Hey August 10, 2009 at 5:21 pm

I’m just not very interested in e-books. It has to be very, very good excellent for me to bother with paying even something like $2.50. And in those rare cases I will print them out and put them in binders.

If it was a physical copy I’d have no compunctions with paying several times more. I’m sure more people than me enjoy having nice stuff stacked in their manshelves :)

6 Hey August 10, 2009 at 5:22 pm

Brett: out of curiosity, what kind of special formatting does Lulu require?

7 Hey August 10, 2009 at 5:27 pm

It wasn’t my intention to come off snarky, I just really like my deadtree books :p

8 Brett August 10, 2009 at 5:29 pm

Oh no worries Mr. Hey-I completely understand the appeal of a real book. It would be especially nice with this book since you could write the exercises right into the book.

Right now the ebook is formatted for an 8.5X11 page but Lulu books come in 8.25X10.75. So I’d have to redo the whole thing-reformatting the page breaks and spaces-to make it fit right in that size.

9 Hey August 10, 2009 at 5:58 pm

Gotcha. I hope you decide to do this. Consider the marketing and outreach possibilities of a physical book, for one…

10 Andy K. August 10, 2009 at 5:59 pm

Brett:
I’ll also support the Lulu idea. I think you could even get away with a higher price after posting it on Lulu. I know a “real” book would be awesome.

I’ll definitely be buying this next month, though, when I’m at “home”.

11 Jay August 10, 2009 at 6:05 pm

At the risk of stating the obvious/known: Lulu accepts .doc and .rtf only: http://www.lulu.com/en/help/book_formatting_faq – maybe a copy-paste would work?

Going to buy the book now – thanks for this site (and please check your FB inbox – I emailed you last week about your 100-movie list )

12 Paul August 10, 2009 at 9:18 pm

would love a Lulu copy!

13 Allen August 11, 2009 at 9:15 am

I am intrigued by the idea of wearing a bow tie after reading your article on the Beau Tie Company. I would be interested in trying the “Echo Bay” for my first ever bow tie, just for grins.

14 ceestand August 11, 2009 at 9:29 am

I will be purchasing this. Asking for a nominal amount of money is a great idea in this case and I’d like to see it happen on the web more often.

15 Mike August 11, 2009 at 9:40 am

Haven’t worn a bow tie since I was a kid. I’d like the Annapurna bow tie. Go big or go home.

16 Craig August 11, 2009 at 2:19 pm

Stand up for bow ties! I’ve recently started wearing bow ties, and they do indeed seem to provoke reaction. I’ve several from Beau Ties; they’re well made and have some flair! If I’m fortunate enough to win your contest, make mine the Kandavu. It would be perfect with a white summer jacket and panama hat. For those looking for a ‘power’ tie, the Arlington is as close a bow tie can get. Keep up the good work!

17 Charles Hinshaw August 11, 2009 at 2:28 pm

Blenheim – bow tie. Also re: the mad men contest, when I voted today it said I had already voted even though I had not and yesterday when I clicked on the link in the original email it did not work.

18 Miguel Luna August 11, 2009 at 2:37 pm

There is something manly about having a physical book about how to man up.

19 Robert Simmons August 12, 2009 at 1:03 am

I like the Blenheim bow tie.

20 Devan van Eyck August 12, 2009 at 3:57 am

A bowtie is a man’s game; and I think a diamond point is the championship match. Therefore, I’ll take the Finlandia– in diamond point, of course.

21 Chung Nguyen-Le August 20, 2009 at 10:08 am

Hiya Brett

I popped a message about the e-Book, using your Contact form some time last week and just wanted to check if you received it ok?

Thanks, Chung

22 Brian LaFave January 5, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Any chance you could post a limited license download link for slightly more…maybe $5 to $10 for 5 copies?

I want to forward this to a couple friends, but that just doesn’t “feel right”. I would gladly pay more and besides, I would use all those downloaded copies and send as attached emails (on the honor system) and you get more eyeballs on your site (I’m a big fan…just found your site in December).

Brian

23 Miles January 27, 2010 at 11:08 pm

I would suggest researching a bit before spending so much time. I spent about 5 minutes figuring out how, and about 10 seconds converting one article to pdf form straight from your web site.

24 Brett McKay January 27, 2010 at 11:11 pm

@Miles-

There’s a difference between simply putting an article into pdf, which yes, is quite easy, and making an ebook that’s formatted and spaced differently, has page numbers, headings, worksheets, a table of contents, etc.

25 Praniet Makanjee January 29, 2010 at 4:59 am

Please send ebook

26 Paul Tabatschkow May 15, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Count me in a a Lulu buyer when it is available.
Will up to $10.00 for LuLu print.