The Art of Manliness Weekly Roundup

by Brett & Kate McKay on February 7, 2009 · 9 comments

in Blog, Roundup

Here are some interesting links to peruse while you kickback this weekend:

Cowboy Bob’s Western Values. A new blog dedicated to gaining insight from the cowboy mythology of movies and folklore.

Time to Eat the Dogs. This blog is written by a professor of the history of exploration. The writing is fantastic and articles very interesting. If you’ve enjoyed Chris Hutcheson’s articles on explorers, then you should definitely check this site out.

The Perfect Shirt (@ valet) An ode to an American classic: the white oxford shirt.

The Battle for Britain’s Masculinity (@ the trumpet) An op-ed piece in which the author argues that the decline in masculinity in Britain is killing Britain in the process. Whether you agree or not, it’s an interesting read.

Beard·Revue. A blog dedicated to review, commentary, and discussion of the beard. (hat tip to Cory Huff)

THE FATHER LIFE. Very cool online magazine for fathers. Covers fatherhood, relationships, and work.

And finally, there’s been a bit of controversy this week over a Cheerios ad that some believe is insulting to men. They argue that if the roles of the couple in the commercial were reversed, women would never stand for such an ad. Is this another example of the way in which popular culture gets away with degrading men, or is it much ado about nothing? Check it out and decide for yourself:

If you’ve got a link you think we should include in the roundup, then share it with me using the contact form.

1 Christina Martin February 7, 2009 at 9:58 am

I think the Cheerios ad is insulting to women, not to men, though I don’t bother being insulted because I know that the stereotype really is often true. This ad shows a man trying to keep happy an overly sensitive woman who is looking to take anything he says the wrong way. He does a pretty good job of “dealing” with this difficult woman, managing to make her happy despite her defensive and argumentative disposition.

Don’t get me wrong, I think there are many more ads and programs insulting to men than to women, but I don’t think this is one of them. I’ve found the insult to men so prevalent that I have given it a name, the “Cosby effect.”

2 O February 7, 2009 at 10:59 am

Bill-O making much ado about nothing to drum up ratings.

I just think the voice overs on that add are strange.

3 M. Keller February 7, 2009 at 11:50 am

Okay, background on the Cheerios ad, it’s British with an American English dub. The ad, for some reason, makes much more sense in a British context, given stereotype Nervous Englishman personalities like any character played by Hugh Grant. Up here in Canuckistan, we get the British version, and while it’s still annoying, it’s not nearly as annoying as the dub.

Insulting to manhood though? I couldn’t see this happening in real life. Playfully, sure. But all serious business like that?

And the ad with roles reversed?

Woman: “Cheerios huh? Trying to watch your weight?”
Man: “Yep.”
Voice over: “Multi-grain cheerios…”

4 Matt February 7, 2009 at 12:18 pm

I don’t have a problem with it. The ad isn’t as funny as it thinks it is, but the man-who-keeps-digging-himself-into-a-hole routine is true to life and has comedic potential.

5 Brucifer February 7, 2009 at 3:32 pm

The male (not Man) in the ad is certainly a stereotype …. that unfortunately is on the rise in real life. The poor chap is clearly whipped and tamed. Granted, he is a loutish enough lad to venture into the subject of a woman’s weight, dependably a no-win conversation at breakfast or anytime else. For that, he deserves a sound thrashing for being so dense. That said, it takes nothing but a curt word and a sharp glance to quickly put the poor boy “in his place.” His body language was that of a beaten cur. Alas, in ads and in TV shows, men are too often reduced to portrayal as sports-obsessed, beer-swilling buffoons who must be often rescued and chastised by the put-upon, but all-wise women in their lives.

The article on Britain was reading well until the author turned all Holy-Roller on us and stated crediting “god’s blessing” for the valiant acts of MEN. That “Gott Mit Uns” pomposity is just balderdash! If anything, it is Christianity itself that has long-emasculated the Brits.

6 Treb February 7, 2009 at 7:27 pm

I personaly don’t find the Cheerios ad insulting and completely agree with the top poster ‘Christina’

In terms of creating discussion; I would like to bring to your attention an ad shown here in Australia to discourage negligent driving among young males. I personal think that if the ad were to have the roles reversed and a tag line like “Dont get lose” there would be an uproar.

7 Brandon February 7, 2009 at 9:05 pm

The reason it is an attempt at humor is because the reality still remains that a man can in nearly all circumstances destroy a woman physically, psychologically or verbally. That’s why it’s funny when he’s told to shut up, but it wouldn’t be if the roles are reversed. What I find stupid are the tough woman detective shows. Totally ridiculous. Women are not men and never will be. No matter how hard you want to pretend. The Onion has a funny clip about women as portrayed in movies and on TV. It deals with just this subject.

8 James February 8, 2009 at 6:17 am

I’m British by birth and live in London. With respect to the article in The Trumpet, I’m dismayed by a notion of masculinity that is homophobic or that supports wars of conquest.

9 Walter February 10, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Thanks for the link to the Trumpet article! It was right on, and well written. The USA is not that far behind….