Preorder an Art of Manliness T-Shirt

by Brett & Kate McKay on October 13, 2008 · 14 comments

in Blog, Featured

A while back ago, we ran a contest to pick the best design for an Art of Manliness t-shirt. You all whittled the designs down to three very cool and manly ones. Many of you have been asking when we’re going to sell the new t-shirts. I’m sorry for the delay. I’ve been trying to figure out the best way to do this.

Right now, the current AoM shirts are being done through Printfection.com. What’s nice about such a method is that I don’t have to mess much with it. I send them the design, they print the shirts, and then they mail them to you. But the problem with Printfection and similar sites like cafepress.com is that they’re too damn expensive. Even without marking the price up on the shirts, it still costs $20+ to buy one. Yikes! So, I really don’t want to use them or Cafepress.com any longer.

So here’s my plan. I can use a local screen printing place here in Tulsa. I’ve gotten quotes from some places and I can sell the shirts for $10 each. That’s pretty dang good if you ask me. It’s much better than the $20+ Printfection is charging. But here’s the problem. I don’t have the cash for purchasing the initial batch of shirts. So I’m going to have to bootstrap this sucker by taking preorders from you all.

I want to start off with just one shirt; the bigger the order, the better the price. If we try to do preorders for all three winning designs, we’ll dilute our ability to get a good price. My goal is to reinvest the money made from the initial sale into purchasing the other two shirts in bulk and making them available for sale without having to do the preorder process.

Preorder Today!

The winning shirt

Here’s an upclose pic of the design

The shirt above received the most votes in the t-shirt design contest. Consequently, we’ll start off by selling it.

The shirt is brown with green lettering.

Cost is $10.

Shipping in the U.S. is $3.50.

Shipping to Mexico and Canada is $9.95 (This is the best deal I could find with US Postal Service. If you know of a better one, please let me know.)

Shipping to all other countires is $11.95 (This is the best deal I could find US Postal Service. If you know of a better one please let me know.)

I plan on having the first order of shirts shipped out in about in three weeks.

Update: These shirts are no longer available.

1 Michael Gowin October 13, 2008 at 7:57 pm

So when are you getting that design tattooed on your bicep, Brett? It would look great with the T-shirt! ;-}

2 Louise October 13, 2008 at 8:08 pm

Honestly, I looked at the design of the shirt before I even read the post…the logo looks like a pair of nads. Seriously… have a quick look… What’s up with that? Maybe in the next batch of tshirts you could print the mustache logo on the front instead.

3 rengal October 13, 2008 at 8:14 pm

Whoo hoo! I know what some folks are getting for Christmas… and those are totally my husband’s favorite colors. :)

(When do gal’s shirts go on sale? gonna’ need a few of those, too)

4 Shaun October 13, 2008 at 8:46 pm

How much to ship one to Australia?

5 Leon October 13, 2008 at 10:14 pm

As far as sizing goes, what kind of shirt will this be screened onto?

6 Stefan October 13, 2008 at 10:42 pm

Hi,

how much to ship one to Germany?
Is this even possible or to complicated to handle international requests.

btw. I enjoy this blog, keep up the good work
and best regards from Germany

7 Mike October 14, 2008 at 6:22 am

I am just noticing that the “.” in “.com” would probably look better immediately to the left of the “com” instead of where it is now, looking like a tiny mouth.

8 ken October 14, 2008 at 6:40 am

Oh everyone’s a design critic! Female t-shirts!!?? Send two to Ireland (republic of) and have your man contact mine re costs etc.

9 Sir Chumley Warner Smyyyth October 14, 2008 at 6:43 am

Too many bloody design critics by half. T-shirts for young ladies!!?? Whatever next. Send two to Ireland (republic of) and have your man contact mine re costs etc. Damn the expense.

10  Thierry V. October 14, 2008 at 7:16 am

Perhaps the question should be asked whether a t-shirt is manly? It’s all subjective of course, but it could at the very least have been a polo…

11 Scott Smith October 14, 2008 at 8:10 am

Jerry at J & J Sports in St. Louis, MO did some shirts for me and after shipping, they were $7.00. These were great quality shirts, and they did a great job with our logo.
jandjsportsmo.com is their website. They probably help us out a bit because we are a church, but I am sure he won’t gouge you!
Just let him know Scott at the Journey sent you!

12 Brett October 14, 2008 at 4:25 pm

@Shaun – International shipments are $11.95. I know it’s more than the shirt, but that’s the cheapest I could find.

13 woodenkimono October 15, 2008 at 9:51 am

make a T-shirt with the #2 design and I might buy one.

14 cave12man October 15, 2008 at 12:22 pm

Ill tell ya i wish i had been around for that logo poll. I would totally be in for one if the second design with the star had been on it.