The Art of Manliness Weekly Roundup: New Blackberry Edition

by Brett & Kate McKay on September 6, 2008 · 10 comments

in Blog, Roundup

My two year contract on my cell phone ended this week which meant I could upgrade my phone on renewal for a really good price. I decided to get a Blackberry Curve. I’ve been reluctant to jump on the Smartphone band wagon for some time, but after hearing rave reviews from my friends, I decided to give it to try.

I have to say this thing has been pretty dang handy. This semester is going to be a busy one for me. On top of classes, I’m mentoring two students on their law review article, working as a law review editor, and working as a student rep for Westlaw. And we can’t forget about The Art of Manliness and all the work that goes with it. Plus there are two big secret projects that I’m working on right now with The Art of Manliness that have increased the stuff I have to keep track of. My Blackberry has been an awesome tool to help me manage all this stuff. It allows me to easily keep track of my calendar, my tasks, my contacts, and my emails no matter where I’m at. Oh yeah. It makes phone calls, too. Anybody have recommendations for some good applications for the Blackberry?

Alright, that’s enough of that. Let’s take a look at some links:

Tips For Dads- How to Soothe a Crying Baby (@ husbands and dads) I’ve always heard rum in a baby bottle helps.

Brave New World of Digital Intimacy (@ nytimes) This article takes a look at our digital relationships on places like Twitter, Facebook, and blogs. (By the way, if you want to see how boring my life is, you can follow me on Twitter and Facebook. But I also use them to get input from people about the site.)

What Ever Happened to Personal Responsibility (@ schaefer’s blog) Art of Manliness contributor, Cameron Schaefer, gives a fiery rant against people’s unwillingness to take personal responsibility for their choices. I agree. Part of being a man is taking responsibility of your choices, no matter the consequences.

Shower Poofs (@ to every man a manswer) Dr. Awesome gives his take on the appropriateness of a man using those little shower poofs to wash themselves. Answer: any item you have to buy in the women’s cosmetics section is not appropriate for a man to wash with.

Got a link you’d like me to include in the weekly roundup? Shoot me an email at artofmanliness at gmail.com. Seriously, I’ll link to you.

1 Jeremy (Discovering Dad) September 6, 2008 at 7:48 am

I just got a new Blackberry too, although I haven’t figured everything out with it yet. You’ll have to share some tips! Thanks for including the from Husbands & Dads about soothing a crying baby – rum, whiskey, cough syrup…they all work! ;-) (kidding – they are not really part of the recommendations, for those who take things literally)

2 John L September 6, 2008 at 9:45 am

Some great apps:
google maps is a must (google.com/gmm)
Opera mini web browser is great (m.opera.com)

3 Big Chris September 6, 2008 at 9:59 am

Shower poofs?!? Real men clean their crotches with Brillo pads and clean their cracks with Steel Wool. I don’t use a nail file, I get the grinder down off the wall of the garage and do the rough work, and then clean up with a orbital sander. Come on you whimps!

4 Alex September 6, 2008 at 2:51 pm

I agree with John about Google Maps and Opera Mini.

Beejive (formerly Jivetalk) is a great messenger program for Blackberries.

5 Josh September 6, 2008 at 4:46 pm

I run a Motorola Q. I work in IT and we have consultants on site from time to time. A few weeks ago we had a pair in from the same company who also used Motorola Qs as their company phone. One of them said to me that the most useful thing that his did was settle arguments out at the bar. One of his most commonly used phrases in the week that he was with us was “If only we had the power of the internet to search for such information.” Our company phone is the Palm Treo. It’s an awesome PDA; the w sucks as a phone, but the wx is better at that part. Palm/Verizon won’t release Windows Mobile 6 for it though, which is a terrible thing. Anyway, the one bad thing about them is that all of the people with big ears have weird things happen on their touch screens while they’re talking on the phone. Usually it’s “My time zone changed to Uganda and I don’t know why.”

My loofa is orange and I use it every day. It is awesome. So is Google Maps on the phone.

6 Reuben September 7, 2008 at 12:21 pm

I agree with John L: google maps and opera mini are must-haves.

In addition, I went ahead and signed up for the GPS with AT&T, though after a year I will have spent on the service the amount of a new, separate GPS. However, I find it updates via the EDGE network and is more accurate than my wife’s Garmin. Though you may not have need for these, I also use Twitterberry to update twitter and facebook simultaneously. Finally, if you use gmail regularly, I would recommend their mobile google talk app – it works great for those contacts who don’t have a blackberry (where you can use the BB messenger).

7 Dan September 7, 2008 at 6:54 pm

First off, keep up the great work. I love reading AoM RSS feeds on…my blackberry curve! So, how do I do this? First app I suggest is Viigo RSS reader. Go to http://www.viigo.com on your blackberry for OTA download (free as well). Google Maps is a great app as well (mobile.google.com is the OTA link I think). Opera is a nice app as well but unfortunately (RIM fault I’m guessing), you can’t set opera as the default browser. MetrO is a great app if you travel a lot via the subway, it gives you with all the train stops for numerous cities throughout the world (free as well). Facebook Mobile, gTalk, Gmail mobile and eTrade mobile all offer free apps that are great for those who use those services. SplashMoney and SplashID (money and password management programs) are solid apps but cost a fee. For the student, cram and student docket are great apps (the first being test prep, SD being assignment and todo). My final two apps suggestions are berry411 and BB Smart Alarms Pro. Berry411 is the yellow pages on your handheld, type in anything you want, where ever you are and it will find the top listings based on your GPS location. BB Smart Alarms Pro costs $15 but it adds so much more than the BB native alarm.

Top websites: http://www.blackberrycool.com, http://www.crackberry.com, http://www.berryreview.com, and http://www.handango.com

8 Jake September 8, 2008 at 9:59 am

Gtalk is a must, as well the new Yahoo app (mail, weather, news, stocks etc).

9 Chris Barnes September 10, 2008 at 7:14 am

I also just got a curve about a month ago and I’m loving it. I’m using the gmail app as well as google maps and google sync to keep my bb calendar in sync with my google calendar. Opera mini is killer compared to the built in browser. I’m using gtalk and yahoo messenger for chat but so far aim is not supported on the curve with my carrier.

10 Dana Baith December 18, 2008 at 2:27 pm

Talk about Manning up!

Come on and let go of your insecurities and allow yourself to use something that gets you clean. I like working outside in the yard and getting dirty while hiking in the woods and it feels great to use one of those shower scrubs to get real clean.

Sure, if you call it a “poof” it sure sounds girly as heck. But, that’s just a poor choice of words. Mine is a “scrubber.”

Sorry, but on this one you guys are just being insecure.