The Art of Manliness Weekly Roundup: Going to Vermont Edition

by Brett & Kate McKay on August 2, 2008 · 9 comments

in Blog

Kate and I are leaving for a week long vacation in Vermont on Monday. We’re pretty excited about it. However, the fact that it’s going to rain everyday has sort of put a hamper on our plans. It’ll still be nice to get away from the suburban sprawl of Tulsa and refresh our minds and bodies in the beautiful green mountains of Vermont. We also need a break from the blog and technology in general. We don’t plan on getting on a computer the entire time we’re there. Never fear, though. We’ve got posts set up for next week, so you won’t even know we’re gone.

Now for some links.

One Pot Roast, A Weak of Cheap Meals (@ wisebread) I love me some pot roast. A cut of beef is relatively cheap and it’s easy to prepare. Wisebread offers some recipe ideas for your roat leftovers.

How To Take Critcisim Like Donald Trump (@ lifehack) If you want to be successful, you have to learn how to take criticism. Who better to learn how to do so than from the Donald. This guy is always in the crosshairs of the media. But does he let it get to him and wallow in self pitty? No and that’s why he has more money than you. As bloggers, Kate and I put ourselves out there to be criticized. While we appreciate constructive criticisim, most of the criticism we receive is from a bunch of blowhards who say we suck and then never offer any suggestions on how to improve. These people must be ignored.

Underground Wellness Video: Real Food and Cholesterol (@ modern forger) Interesting videos about the negative hype on cholesterol. Dietitians can be incredibly dumb. They’re always spouting off crap that’s supposedly not good for you. The smear campaign against cholesterol is an example.

7 Proverbs For Skilled Living (@ schaefer’s blog) Cameron Schaefer wrote a great post taking the timeless advice of Proverbs from the Bible and showing some practical application. Great stuff.

1 Mary Catherine August 2, 2008 at 2:28 pm

PUHlease. Tulsa is not a suburban sprawl. Dallas is a suburban sprawl. Proof: an hour away from downtown Dallas and you’re still… in Dallas. An hour away from downtown Tulsa and you’re at Clear Creek Monastery. Where, by the way, you should visit, if you haven’t. Those monks are some real men.

2 Mike Calimbas August 3, 2008 at 7:29 am

Talk about some Americana! I foresee some beautiful scenery and covered bridges in your new future. Enjoy your vacation McKay’s!

BTW – Thanks for the Donald link. Good reading.

Mike Calimbas
DNCworldwide.com

3 Tyler @ Building Camelot August 3, 2008 at 1:29 pm

Brett: I hope you and Kate have a wonderful vacation! Can’t wait to see what you write about when you get back.

Travel safe

–TW

4 CD August 3, 2008 at 9:00 pm

Looks beautiful, but…uh, not very manly. No disrespect, but I spent my vacation on a houseboat at Lake Powell. While I piloted the houseboat, I snarled like a pirate, Arrrrrgh! I bathed only in lake water, ate only the fish that I caught and learned to water ski–primarily with my FACE.

Just kidding. Looks like a great vaca. I’d love to see the scenery in Vermont someday. I much enjoy your blog. Have a great trip.

5 Chuck August 3, 2008 at 9:24 pm

If you are in Vermont, make sure you find out if you can make the “Strolling of the Heifers” in Brattleboro. It is not nearly as bad as it sounds.

6 Rickey Henderson August 4, 2008 at 11:37 am

Ah yes, Vermont. A capitol weekend getaway spot. Rickey heartily approves of your decision. Nothing says “mensch” quite like some flapjacks and maple syrup.

7 Colin August 5, 2008 at 9:18 am

Sadly the weather in VT hasn’t been that great since July 4th. It has been getting better, and does change quite often, one of the best or worst things about New England.

I hope you have a good vacation in VT, I sure love it here.