The Best of Art of Manliness: July 2008

by Brett & Kate McKay on August 1, 2008 · 13 comments

in Blog

July was another great month for the Art of Manliness. One of the more exciting things that happened during the month was our reader t-shirt design contest. We received several fantastic entries. The voting was close, but here are the winners.

Men’s Design Winners

First Place: Entry #7 by William. 326 Votes.

Second Place: Entry #10 by D. Siegel. 231 Votes

Third Place: Entry #6 by Matt Hallock. 204 Votes.

Ladies Design Winners

We only chose one winner for the ladies design. This was super close. The winner won by only one vote.

Winner: Entry #4 by Sistersailor. 383 votes.

Congratulations everyone! And thank you to all contestants for entering and to you readers for voting. My plan with the new shirts is to make them as affordable as possible. Printfection and Cafepress are picking our eyes out with their prices. I mean seriously. $25 bucks for a t-shirt? I want to get prices down to between $10 and $12. One way we can do this is use a local printing company here in Tulsa. However, if we want to get prices down, we have to buy in bulk. Right now, I don’t have the money to front in order to buy 300 t-shirts. To solve this, we can take pre-orders on the shirts so I have an idea on how many of you will buy. If we get enough preorders to get the price down to our desired range, I’ll make the order. How does that sound? Anybody have any other ideas?

Also, many of you mentioned that you’d like some posters as well to hang up in your man cave? Is this something that you all are still interested in?

Let’s take a look at July’s popular posts.

July’s Most Popular Posts

The Ultimate Man’s Guide to Fireworks

How to Do More Than One Stinking Pullup

10 Steps to the Best Best Man Speech

Resurrecting the Lost Art of Oratory

Are the Suburbs Killing Your Manhood?

The Best of the Forums

If you haven’t already, make sure to join 641 other people in The Art of Manliness Discussion forums. You can register with this handy form. The forums are a great place to ask questions and discuss all things manly. I want to shoot a big thank you to those who have taken an active role in the forum and have helped create a sense of community there. Thanks guys!

Here’s a run down of some of the most lively discussion topics in the forum.

Manliest Meal Eaten

Question to the ladies that may be on the forum, along with enlightened men.

Classic Man Music

How to fight like a gentleman

Manly Books to Read

Man Shows

What not to drive if you’re a man

Conceal/carry a weapon – Manly or—–?

Support The Art of Manliness

If you would like to continue your support of AoM, there are a few ways you can do that:

Buy some Art of Manliness Gear. We actually don’t make much from this stuff. It’s just a great way to spread the word about the Art of Manliness.

Subscribe to the site either by RSS Feed or Email updates. Tell your friends to subscribe as well.

Digg or Stumble or del.icio.us your favorite articles to help spread the word.

Become a fan of Art of Manliness on Facebook and invite your friends.

1 Greg August 1, 2008 at 7:22 am

I would like to pre-order Entry #6, but you’re probably only entertaining printing the winner, in which case one of Entry #7 it is!

2 Brett & Kate McKay August 1, 2008 at 7:30 am

@ Greg- If we get enough preorders for all the shirts, we’ll do them all!

3 Chris August 1, 2008 at 10:17 am

Posters would be a cool thing to get i think.

4 Edgar C. August 1, 2008 at 6:05 pm

I like the shirt but I’m just a bit uncomfortable with having people thinking that I subscribe to the idea that The Art Of Manliness is something best represented by a pair of boxing gloves.

Personally i voted for the Sinatra one (simply because I thought it looked, “cool.”) but now that i think about it #6 is much better in terms of widening the scope.

I’m just sayin though…

5 Adam August 1, 2008 at 9:20 pm

I want one! Just let me know where to send the money.

6 rengal August 3, 2008 at 9:11 pm

I’ll prolly be getting three of the “where have all the real mean gone” (in medium, large, and extra large depending on how the sizing works and whther or not they are pre-washed), and I do kinda’ like the ladies’ winner, but I would _never_ wear that color pink. *lol* I will likely get my husband one of the guys shirts in a size large. I have to find out whether he likes the monocle or gloves better. I kinda’ like the old “man up!” one, but it needed to be explained about half the time to others…
~and a poster could be cool :) We wouldn’t want a big one, but a mini one, like 13″ (ish) in the monocle design.

We really like the boxing gloves design! I think it is worth noting that the gloves are hung up, and not in use. That is meaningful in many possible ways!

~j.

7 Charlie August 4, 2008 at 5:19 am

Put me down for a $10 or $12 shirt preorder! If they get up to the $25 range I’ll have to ask for rone for my birthday. Heh!

8 David August 4, 2008 at 8:12 am

Have you seen customink.com? I’ve ordered shirts from them before and they are very affordable. I mean if you were doing just the first place entry and were getting 300 printed with 1 color on front and back they are $5.85/ea. shipped. That allows for a nice little AoM markup, etc.

9 Rob August 4, 2008 at 8:59 am

I’d preorder one of the women’s “My Man Has a Pair” shirts for my girl!

10 Logan Warren October 14, 2008 at 1:19 pm