The Polls Are Open: Vote For Your Favorite AoM T-Shirt Design

by Brett & Kate McKay on July 21, 2008 · 58 comments

in Blog, Featured

Notice: Polls are back online. Make sure to cast your vote!

Three weeks ago, I made a call for Art of Manliness readers to submit designs for a reader T-shirt contest. Man did you all ever respond. We received many fantastic submissions and I have to say we were blown away by several of them. A lot of creative genius is lurking amongst AoM readers.

Prizes up for grabs

We were so impressed with the work some of you put into the designs, we decided to up the number and amounts of prizes for the men’s contest. There will be two first prize winners. One for the men’s shirt and one for the ladies.

The first place winners will receive:

• $100 (for the men’s contest)/$50 (for the women’s contest) Gift Card  to Amazon.com
  • A Subscription to Popular Mechanics Magazine
  • A Free T-shirt
  • An insane amount of fame and prestige. Maybe not an insane amount, but you’ll definitely be famous among thousands of Art of Manliness readers.

We’ve also decided to add a second and third place runner-up prize for the men’s contest. Second prize in the men’s design will receive a $50 gift certificate to Amazon. Third place will receive a $25 gift certificate.

How to choose: Pick the one logo  you think fits best with the ethos of Art of Manliness and that would look cool on a t-shirt. Remember: think about wearability too. A design may look cool, but you may not be able to imagine yourself wearing it around. Vote for the shirt you’d be proud to sport.

Vote using the polls below.

Voting ends: July 28.

Without further ado, the entries.

Men’s entries

Men’s Logo #1 (below)

Men’s Logo #2 (below)

Men’s Logo #3 (below)

Men’s Logo #4 (below)

Men’s Logo #5 (below)

Men’s Logo #6 (below)

Men’s Logo #7 (below)

A better look at the front:

Men’s Logo #8 (below)

Men’s Logo #9 (below)

Men’s Logo #10 (below)

Men’s Logo #11 (below)

Men’s Logo #12 (below)

Men’s Logo #13 (below)

Men’s Logo #14 (below)

Vote! (RSS subscribers may to open the original post to vote on the poll.)

Ladies Designs

Ladies Logo #1 (below)

Ladies Logo #2 (below)

Ladies Logo #3 (below)

Ladies Logo #4 (below)

From the designer: My idea for the slogan came from the fact that so many women today are being labeled as the “pant wearers” in the home, when this is truly a position for the man of the household – one that he needs to take responsibility for.

Vote! (RSS subscribers may need to open to the original post to vote.)

1 Kevin (ReturnToManliness) July 21, 2008 at 8:32 pm

Men’s logo 8 is incredible. That picture is one for the ages…

2 Bernie Franks July 21, 2008 at 8:59 pm

#7 is a great design, best of the bunch. But the colors shown on the shirt (and the layout of the back) do not do it justice.

3 Matthew Gallant July 21, 2008 at 9:01 pm

I like #10, the monocle is pure class.

4 Rage Kage July 21, 2008 at 9:39 pm

I’m really diggin #3 and #8, but I think I’d have to give the edge to #8.

5 Ben July 21, 2008 at 9:56 pm

Mens vote: #2 – Simple depiction of a manly man. Dignified with a classy retro style.

Womens vote: #4 – Funny! A witty way to make a (controversial) point. Aesthetically pleasing design, too. Another simple, dignified depiction of a manly man.

6 Geyser July 21, 2008 at 10:41 pm

No 5 all the way (although the “man up” needs to be bolder).

7 james July 21, 2008 at 10:42 pm

man i didnt see this i so would have entered something!

8 Alex M. July 21, 2008 at 10:45 pm

#5??? It’s basically exactly what’s already being offered in the shop.

I’m having a tough time deciding between #2, #7, and #8. All 3 are really good. I hope they all end up being offered for sale.

9 rabanito July 22, 2008 at 1:21 am

i like the logo and typography of the blogs header. Maybe symplifying a piece and that´s it !

10 Jeremy Halvorsen July 22, 2008 at 3:06 am

I like probably #5 and #8 the most, but what I’d really like is good quality, the current shirts are like that cafepress printed on crap aren’t they? I thought they were when I searched because I wanted the current logo shirt but believe it wasn’t screen-printed. and maybe a better price, $23 is unrealistic compared to the other 8 zillion sites, then if you’re 2xl forget it, especially if you want the man up on it, then it’s $30.99, that’s insane. but after looking at printperfection it’s not really like you’re gouging as they’re just insanely expensive. There are so many other sites you can find that are so much cheaper, a screen-printer would be better too as you don’t have overly complicated designs and all are maybe 2-3 colors.

11 Luftvier July 22, 2008 at 3:46 am

The Obama shirt copy is going to be instantly dated.

Sure, it might be cool now, but it won’t soon.

I really like the Sinatra shirt. Classy as hell.

12 Shadoglare July 22, 2008 at 3:50 am

Wow, several neat designs here. I ended up voting for #2 – very clean, classic retro styling.

13 Brett July 22, 2008 at 4:16 am

@ Jeremy- We’re looking for a new place to print the shirts. Our goal is to get them to down to between $12 and $15. I’ve noticed a lot of the internet publishing companies have jacked their prices up on products just in the last few months. When I first opened up the Printfection store, the first AoM shirt cost $23. Now it’s $25. I guess gas prices are affecting this industry? Anyways, like I said, we’re looking for a new place and may even go to screen printing place here in town so we can get a good deal.

14 Dave July 22, 2008 at 4:42 am

#8 is a (not as good) direct rip-off of Shepard Fairey’s Obama poster.

15 Patrick July 22, 2008 at 4:52 am

Men’s style: #10
Women’s style: #4

16 LG July 22, 2008 at 6:49 am

It’s a toss-up for me between #’s 2, 8, & 12

17 Israel July 22, 2008 at 7:19 am

Dude, make all of the men’s shirts an option to buy, same for the women versions. Period. Why choose? Why not have a line of shirt?

Regarding pricing, you will do best buying in bulk. The more you buy, the cheaper each costs. It will also cost you for setup of the image, but thats a one time fee.

I would suggest you choose one image at a time, print a few hundred shirts, or w/e the minimum order cost is (or in your budget). Sell enough of those to cover the printing of the next logo/shirt and keep that process going. These images are awesome and I would wear them all! Also, DO not price the shirts above 15 bucks. Shipping, please don’t charge too much. If you buy the shirts in bulk, you should be able to make a great profit selling the shirts at just $10, plus a couple bucks for shipping.

Also, these should be made into posters. I would definitely hang them up in m man cave. Make some screensavers and desktop background images too. A collage would be hot! A collage shirt even better.

If you need a guy to make your shirts, theres a company that is really inexpensive. Send me an email if you want the info for them. I didn’t use them for mine, because the minimum order was too much, but I will when I can order that amount of shirts.

18 Heather July 22, 2008 at 7:53 am

#7 is my favorite design for a shirt.

#4 and #8 would both be great for posters.

19 Matthew July 22, 2008 at 8:25 am

Men’s #6 – it’s the only one that seems to have man upped enough not have to go all “BustedTees” to be cool.

Ladies #4 – because that’s how it should be.

20 Jaye July 22, 2008 at 9:41 am

A lot of the designs on the mens list are great, though #4 I could see being problematic with Sinatra’s estate. However I voted for #8 because it really does make a statement with its colours and image. I didn’t vote for the womens, because besides the glasses joke I found them to be less than appealing.

21 MIlo July 22, 2008 at 10:16 am

As Luftvier said: #8 will be extremely dated after November and is a direct rip off of Shephard Fairey’s Obama print, also, it isn’t unique enough to stand out.

I voted for #3 because it is very unique and a definite conversation starter, and I would wear that shirt without even knowing what the artofmanliness even is!. I also really like #10. They are timeless and classy. The Sinatra one would be good… if I liked Sinatra.

22 Will July 22, 2008 at 10:32 am

Whatever the design, be sure the URL is there and visible!

23 Joe July 22, 2008 at 11:25 am

i like #3 for both men’s and women’s. obviously, they are meant to be a matching set, but i like them for their simplicity. i think the designs can go on a wide range of shirt colors and it is an original idea. i can see why people are voting for #8 but it’s not unique. i liked it better as shepard fairy’s obama poster. question: is stealing someone else’s idea manly? Survey says… NO.

24 Phoebe July 22, 2008 at 12:12 pm

Why does no one choose the one of the manly presidents and our boxer?

25 Steve July 22, 2008 at 3:29 pm

Definitely #8!

26 Bill Jones Sr. July 22, 2008 at 3:34 pm

I gotta go with #3. I think it’s awesome. It’s the essence on a gentleman on your shirt. It’s like a Maker’s Mark and a fine cigar.

I can believe #7 is winning. It’s pretty uninspired. A pair of boxing gloves and a mustache on the back? I would never relegate a beautiful handlebar mustache to the back. It needs to be displayed. Next, there are thousands of boxing shirts out there, we might as well be “big Johnson boxing” or something lame like that. It’s not unique, the image is a commodity. Also, the font on the back is stupid. What is that? Times New Roman? I think we’re past that as a man civilization.

That’s all.

27 Alex M. July 22, 2008 at 4:27 pm

How did #7 pull ahead by so much all of a sudden? It was behind all day and then magically was in the lead by a lot. Hmmmmm……

28 KevinA. July 22, 2008 at 4:59 pm

I like number 5. Old school look that hearkens back but keeps it’s cool, modern sensibilities.

29 Dave Hardy July 22, 2008 at 5:32 pm

#14 for the men’s t-shirt; bears are related to dogs and we’re all just dogs anyway.

#2 for the ladies’ t-shirt. The little woman here would snap that one right up.

30 Matt July 22, 2008 at 7:13 pm

I like Men’s design #6. It clear yet catchy!

31 Emily July 22, 2008 at 7:52 pm

Men’s #6 & #7 are great!

32 Bryan July 22, 2008 at 8:06 pm

I like number 8

33 Dave July 23, 2008 at 12:08 am

I like Men’s logo #14 and Ladies’ logo #1. Manliness shouldn’t be about your fighting skills, or the way you dress… It’s about your attitude and how you face the world. It really is an art.

34 Charlie July 23, 2008 at 4:49 am

Wow, these are great. A real toss up between 5 and 7 for me, in the men’s category, but ultimately 7 wins for me.

35 TracyB July 23, 2008 at 4:52 am

#8 is my favorite and the ladies #2!!!

36 Logan July 23, 2008 at 6:09 am

I like #4! I voted for #7, but now I regret it….. 4 is so much classier…

37 Johnny 5 July 23, 2008 at 7:33 am

I got my eye on #3 for both men’s and women’s.

The rest are garbage. GARBAGE!

This site loses all credibility unless the #3′s win. They’re the essence of style.

38 Burt Reynolds July 23, 2008 at 7:59 am

When I’m not posing in playgirl or having the shirt off my back repossessed, I look for a shirt with class. Something that let’s the ladies know I’m a man of fine taste.

Shirt #3 fully embodies what I’m looking for in a garment. Clean, simple and just imagine how magnificent that top hat will look when my billowing chest hair is raising it from my body.

Vote for another shirt if you must, but you’re no man if you do.

39 RSH123 July 23, 2008 at 8:16 am

#3 if it!

No question.

All the rest of the T’s look as if they came from the little boys department at Target. They might as well say Massimo on the tag.

“Art of Manliness” if dominating the web, and it needs a shirt to reflect that. Not one that looks like it could be a Guinness shirt cerca 2001.

And of course this shirt needs a match for the female AOM readers out there. So Female #3 has to be it as well.

40 theBorch July 23, 2008 at 8:37 am

Love all the shirts guys…except I don’t know if I can agree with any sort of originality w/ #8 (http://www.thegiant.org) I understand following a trend in today’s society but blatant rip-offs?
Any who keep on designing guys and gals and hope to see many more in the future, and if anyone has a site with their portfolio on it, it would be great to check it out!

theBorch
“Honor all people. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the king”

41 Tyler @ Building Camelot July 23, 2008 at 8:37 am

I’m partial to #5 – it fits the site and it carries your “image” and extends your brand. I can’t wait to get my hands on one

42 dave July 23, 2008 at 9:39 am

it’s funny hearing people defend Shepard Fairey, as his whole style is based on biting and the particular design in question appears to be nothing more than illustrator live trace.

43 FDR July 23, 2008 at 9:42 am

I do declare #3 is the New Deal in shirts. Why I was president for an unprecedented 4 terms. I brought us up from Depression. I won World War 2… and I know one thing for sure – The only shirt I’d want on my polio-riddled body is #3.

And I know my wife is quite fond of #3 for women. Eleanor is quite the fashionista.

E pluribus unum

44 RichUnclePennyBags July 23, 2008 at 12:36 pm

@RSH123, and if you walked to the game isle you’d find #3. But it has ‘monopolized’ the eye of many AoM readers still ;)
All in jest, if it even made someone chuckle?

Advance to GO collect $200.

45 Emily July 23, 2008 at 5:11 pm

The problem with the #3s for me is that they (particularly the lady’s) do not explain why the AoM Man is ideal. They are clean, and I do like the men’s design, but they just don’t seem viable for THIS contest – otherwise, great!

46 Granata July 24, 2008 at 12:10 pm

Number #8 was created in the style of Sheppard Fairey and was created with the help of this tutorial: http://vectortuts.com/illustration/create-an-inspirational-vector-political-poster/.

Not Live Trace.

47 Mary K July 26, 2008 at 9:59 am

The problem with women’s #2 and #4 are that they aren’t wearable. Not since the mid 90′s have people wanted dumb sayings and catch phrases on their shirts. #3 is the only viable option. It doesn’t have to say “This is why the AoM man is ideal” all it has to do is be cool and interesting and people will ask you where you got your shirt. Then, Emily, you can tell them, “artofmanliness.com, check it out.”

Furthermore, a top hat, monocle and sweet mustache speaks volumes more about being a man than a pair of boxing gloves.

48 Chris | Martial Development July 27, 2008 at 2:07 pm

#3 and #4 are the coolest, but #8 is the one I would most likely wear.

49 Maurice July 28, 2008 at 7:05 pm

Number 10 is my favorite.

50 Isaac July 31, 2008 at 8:23 pm

oh damn, number two is wicked rad!

and cannot be found here // ica-design.net

51 CEMarlotte August 2, 2008 at 10:03 am

I would love to get in touch with the artist who created logo #8 so that I could investigate purchasing a print.

52 Granata August 4, 2008 at 8:35 am

Hiya, #8 is now available for purchase here: http://www.cafepress.com/manshrt/5813631

53 Granata August 4, 2008 at 9:04 am

I’ve got the #2 ladies design up at http://www.cafepress.com/manshrt/5839132

54 Curtis October 11, 2008 at 6:23 pm

all of these are great but only number five catches the true essence of what AOM.com is and is simple enough to be worthy of a true aom T-shirt. it gets my vote bitgime.

55 metin November 15, 2008 at 12:39 pm

TÃœRKÄ°YE’den selam ve sevgiler..

56 Bill November 24, 2008 at 2:37 pm

There’s a lot of creative artwork on here for the t-shirts! Well done! I say we should
open up the option of selection to many instead of just one choice!!!!

Thank you and MAN UP!!!

57 Cates January 7, 2009 at 2:34 pm

#2 is my favorite overall design, but I wouldn’t wear it with the red star. If it were blue, or some other color… Call me a capitalist pig (please!), but I have a bit of an inherent aversion to red stars. With that said, my vote would have to be for #7. The image on the back is a nice touch. I’d wear it with pride. Every day. No sh*t.

58 Tired Dog June 29, 2010 at 11:14 am

14; can’t beat a noble creature with a noble view of things…