Introducing The Art of Manliness Barbershop Locator

by Brett & Kate McKay on June 1, 2008 · 11 comments

in Blog

Our post on rediscovering the barbershop received a lot of positive feedback. However, there were several commenters who said they’ve had a hard time finding a good barbershop, especially when they move into a new town.

To help solve this problem, we’ve whipped up a Googlemap to help men locate a barbershop. Right now, we don’t have many listed, but with your help we can create a massive resource that will help men everywhere find a place to get a sharp haircut, a clean shave, and some good conversation. Please add locations and reviews of the barbershops you’re aware of to the map. In order to do so, you’ll need a Google Account. We appreciate your help and look forward to your contributions.

1 soo June 1, 2008 at 7:51 pm

I haven’t ever seen this feature of maps before. Pretty cool stuff.
Here’s how to add a new location for anyone else that’s new to this

1. Log into your Google Account
2. Click on the link: “View Larger Map” under the map image
3. Click on the button: “Edit” in the left column
4. Click on the blue balloon icon: “Add a placemark” in the top left corner of the map graphic

2 Matt B. June 2, 2008 at 10:00 am

Great idea! A lot of guys have already put up their barbershop in the map. I’d like to see more commentary and reviews of the places though. Tell us why you like the shop and some details about the place. And photos are a great bonus.

3 Alex S. June 2, 2008 at 4:41 pm

Anyone know of any resources for finding them initially? I get the feeling I’m the only one who uses this website regularly within 50 miles of here.

4 Brett McKay June 2, 2008 at 5:44 pm

@Alex-

Where is your “here?” My hope is that the map will fill out enough to help people find a barbershop wherever they live. If there aren’t any markers near you yet, just stop by a place that says it’s a barbershop. Sometimes the exteriors are deceiving. Give em a whirl. If you don’t get your favorite haircut, just try another place.

5 Patrick June 2, 2008 at 11:04 pm

Hey guys,
don’t have a google account, so I was wondering if someone could add a barber for me. The name is Vincent’s Barbershop and it’s a great place.

Address:
414 Larkfield Rd
East Northport, NY 11731

6 Scott June 3, 2008 at 11:45 am

Can we agree on a definition of a “barbershopâ€?? If we’re going to have several located on this map, it would be helpful to know they all at least meet a predetermined standard.

For instance, the barbershop up the street from me still advertises as a barbershop, even with the striped pole. But he did away with the shaves several years ago.

This is a good idea, especially for us folks who travel, and need a haircut in another town.

7 Greg @ Wise Bread August 6, 2008 at 7:46 pm

@soo – thanks for the instructions.

@aom – please add the instructions to the locator page to encourage more participation from noobs like me. thanks.

8 Greg @ Wise Bread August 6, 2008 at 8:04 pm

Just found an easier way to add barbershops. Using this method, you don’t have to manually enter the shop’s info.

Follow soo’s directions up to #2. Then, instead of clicking on the blue balloon icon…

3. Search for the barbershop you want to add. Google local probably already has an entry.

4. Click on the search results to pop up the bubble of the business’ info in the map.

5. In the info bubble, click the “Save to my maps” link, and select “Barbershop Locator”.

(If the locator map is not one of the available options, you might have to click on “My Maps” (below the google logo), and make sure the “Barbershop Locator” map is one of the selected maps.)

9 John "Mac" McDaris September 15, 2008 at 8:26 am

I don’t have a google account but this shop is a pretty good one.
I haven’t been there for a while since I am deployed to Iraq but it will be one of my first stops when I get home.

Alaska Barber Shop
(907) 452-2459
305 Eagle Ave
Fairbanks, AK 99701

Good haircuts from real men for real men.
You could still get a shave with a straight razor there when I was last there in November 2007.
All the real men in Fairbanks go there from the Mayor to the local preachers to the Master of the local Mason’s Lodge to real Dad’s bringing in their son’s for a trim.
While we all love women there this is definitely a MAN’s place. There are some women that do bring their son’s in since Ft. Wainwright is right down the road and the “barber” at the PX is often crowded.
Check it out.

10 Bret July 21, 2010 at 12:34 pm

I would like to start a petition that would remove ALL Jude’s Barbershops from the map. Not only is it merely gussied up version of a unisex salon (movie posters and pinups do NOT make it a barbershop), the service and competence of the staff is suspect.

When one of my best friends got married 3 years ago, we went to Jude’s because we’d heard that they offered straight razor shaves. At the time, they were relatively new in our town. Biggest mistake I’ve ever made, and I have not had one since. The girl (not a barber, but someone with a cosmetology license) preceded to butcher my face for the better part of 40 minutes. This was only 3 hours before the ceremony, and my speech as a best man. Razor burn, missed patches of facial hair, you name it. The absolute worst shave I’ve had in my life. I ended up using a Mach 3 to fix her work, followed by pressing any cold object I could find against my skin. I’ve never used a straight razor personally, but I’m still more qualified to use it than these folks. I can get a better shave at home, and you can too.

Jude’s is NOT a barbershop. It’s a unisex salon disguised as a barbershop, in that they don’t serve female customers and the decor is supposed to be “manly.” I fail to see how this company should be included on the list.

11 Christopher Floersh October 24, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Hello David, I currently live in Saint Meinrad which Im sure you know is even on the outskirts of Evansville by about an hour. There is an Art of Shaving location in Louiville KY which I guess is about 2 hours for you. I havent tried them yet, but I used to live in Saint Louis and they were pretty good there. of course you have to go through the Mall in order to get to it.

Mall St. Mathews