The Manival #1

by Brett & Kate McKay on April 29, 2008 · 21 comments

in Blog, Featured

Welcome to first edition of the Manival! The Manival is a blog carnival that brings together the best posts by man bloggers written with men in mind. I’m really excited about the response we got for the first edition. We received 20 submissions for the first Manival. I hope it will continue to grow each week.

So if you’re ready to put some hair on your chest, let’s get started with the Manival.

Editor’s Pick

The Growing Life presents The James Dean Guide to Being a Body Language Bad*ass. James Dean was a bad ass and he knew how to use his body language to show his cool confidence.

Fatherhood

Discovering Dad discusses the dos and don’ts of motivating dad. This post is directed to the moms. I know there’s plenty of AoM readers who are moms. I hope you find this helpful.

Building Camelot shares his 5 biggest fears about being a dad.

Marriage and Relationships

Schafer’s Blog urges men to be men and start making decisions in their relationships. My wife gets on to me for this all the time. I defer to her a lot thinking it’s the gentlemanly thing to do, when in reality she would rather have me make more decisions more often.

Get Geek Strong shows men 7 ways to avoid adding housework for their spouses. Studies show that married men add a few hours of housework a week for their spouse. Help your wife out by following these tips.

Persistent Illusion writes a letter to the husbands of America telling them to man the hell up.

The Man Page presents The Unofficial Guide to Buying Your Wife a Gift. With Mother’s Day just around the corner, this will come in real handy.

The Night Writer presents Oh, Those Three Little Words. This is a humorous take on marriage and the three word phrases every man should learn to say more often and the three word phrases every man should avoid saying to their spouse.

My Super Charged Life urges men to revive the lost art of chivalry. I couldn’t agree more. In fact, I devoted a whole section to it in The Art of Manliness Guide to Being a Gentleman.

Dress and Grooming

Smple.se shares his experience of making his own Persian Moustache Wax. While it ended with a rash, I applaud this man for his ingenuity and for his awesome looking moustache. He kind of looks like the AoM logo.

The Care and Feeding of Man presents How to Wash Clothes 101. If you’re a young man out on their own for the first time, this post can be extremely helpful. I still get in trouble whenever I do the laundry. I always end up ruining a piece of my wife’s clothing.

4mind4body shows how a man can dress for success.

Money

Money Blue Book discuses the reinforcement of traditional gender stereotypes about money in television’s latest trashy reality show, The Millionaire Matchmaker.

Mancations and Manertainment

Simple Marriage Project presents the Essential Rules of Traveling Light in Marriage. My wife and I love to travel. These tips will come in handy.

Man Tripping gives us a man-cationing guide for La Tomatina Festival in Spain.

Manning Up

A Good Husband tells us why UFC Fighter GSP is a true gentleman. A real man knows how to respect his opponent when he’s grounding and pounding them.

Escaping Maryland shows us what the day in the life of a high school wrestler looks like. This post reminded me of my wrestling days. I forgot how grueling the schedule could be.

Ramoney urges men to take responsibility for their lives if they want to see change. Here at AoM, we believe taking personal responsibility for one’s actions is an essential part of manning up.

Urban Monk introduces us to his man’s manual of being manly and discusses what is and is not true manhood.

Manic Impressive shares a personal story of how a little gentlemanliness can separate the men from the boys.

Ergo Sum argues that there’s too many guys; too few men. I agree.

Thanks for the great submissions! Tune in next Tuesday at A Good Husband for the Manival #2. If you have a post you would like to submit, please use the Manival submission form. All submissions are due on Monday by 4PM

1 Jeff@MySuper-Charged Life April 29, 2008 at 5:00 am

Congrats on your first Manival! I’m going to start going through and reading several of the articles right now. Thanks for including my post on chivalry!

2 Jeremy (Discovering Dad) April 29, 2008 at 5:15 am

Awesome! Can’t wait to read all of the posts – thanks for including me in the list!

3 cory huff April 29, 2008 at 5:31 am

Thanks, Brett! Looking forward to hearing the feedback here!

4 Jenny April 29, 2008 at 5:44 am

Interesting. This is the first I’ve heard of it. LOL Great job!

5 Hayden Tompkins April 29, 2008 at 5:55 am

Here is the link to Dear Husbands of America: http://persistentillusion.wordpress.com/2008/04/22/husbands-101-dear-husbands-of-america/

And, wow, TAOM – you have posted some amazing articles.

6 tsims April 29, 2008 at 7:02 am

Great job putting these posts together. Wow! There’s tons of great info for dudes here. I look forward to reading them all.

Long live the Manival !

7 Chad April 29, 2008 at 7:22 am

I can’t read The Man Page without it automatically submitting itself to my Google Reader. Anyone else have this problem?

8 ramoney April 29, 2008 at 8:15 am

I’m honored to be part of Manival #1, thank you. Great articles everyone, keep up the good work!

9 Tyler @ Building Camelot April 29, 2008 at 8:27 am

I’m flattered to be among such awesome articles. Can’t wait to dive in and check ‘em all out. Great job on the first Manival!

–TW

10 tony @ Savvy Daddy April 29, 2008 at 9:00 am

Great stuff! Funny – I was just thinking about starting a new blog carnival for dads, but instead, I’ll direct folks your way and partake in this manival awesomeness.

11 Derek April 29, 2008 at 10:54 am

Great first edition of The Manival with so many interesting posts! Thanks for including my post among this collection and drop me a line on when I can return the favor by hosting myself.

@Chad :: The problem you are having accessing my site is likely a result of a problem with the Better GReader Firefox plugin. We found users that had an older version of this installed were experiencing exactly what you mentioned. Upgrading to the latest version should resolve the problem.

@Brett :: The link under the Money section is taking me to the post on chivalry, which was linked earlier.

12 Ashley April 29, 2008 at 11:02 am

Ha! This is great. Okay, I’m not a man…but this is really cool!

13 Clay Collins | The Growing Life April 29, 2008 at 11:26 am

Love the name “manival” and what an honor to be Editor’s Pick. Thanks Brett and Kate!

14 Wealth Building Lessons April 29, 2008 at 2:51 pm

congrats on the first manival!

keep up the good work.

15 gold digger April 29, 2008 at 2:52 pm

The editor’s pick was awesome!

16 a husband April 29, 2008 at 8:41 pm

I’m thankful for all these different sites that I didn’t even know were out there. Great idea with the Manival!

17 Jen April 30, 2008 at 3:10 am

Great collection of links…congratulations on your first Manival!

18 Night Writer April 30, 2008 at 5:10 pm

What an awesome start! I’m glad I heard about this and honored to be included. I look forward to future Manivals and perhaps even hosting one at some point. Thanks for doing this.

19 Justus April 30, 2008 at 10:22 pm

Haha! Manning up! I like it. Thanks for choosing Escaping Maryland’s article!

20 Laurie May 7, 2008 at 7:15 pm

Great link to http://www.simplemariage.net
Corey has great things!!!

21 Laurie May 7, 2008 at 7:17 pm

I got the address wrong.
(I don’t type well!)