Introducing The Art of Manliness Discussion Forum

by Brett & Kate McKay on April 22, 2008 · 7 comments

in Blog, Featured

Today, I’m excited to announce the addition of a discussion forum to Art of Manliness. You’ll notice a link in the navigation bar to the forum. I encourage you all to sign up today and start engaging each other in a dialog about all things manly.

Why a forum?

Many might be asking why start a forum when there’s discussion in the comments on the blog already. Well, there’s a few reasons why I’ve decided to implement the forum.

Reader questions. Lately, I’ve been getting several emails from readers asking me for advice. I try to answer as many of the questions as I can, but frankly I don’t know the answers to a lot of them. But I’m sure there’s some AoM reader out there that does. If you have a question or are seeking advice, you can take it to the forum and get input from thousands of AoM readers.

Building community. When I started AoM, I had a vision for it to be more than a blog. I want it to be a community of men (and women, too) who are interested in rediscovering and resurrecting the lost art of being a man. I want it to be a community where men with similar values and ideas can come together and discuss and offer support to each other as they seek to be better men.

Reader Content. Some of the commenters on AoM always provide interesting insights. I’m hoping that these same commenters can create more discussion and provide more useful content for AoM readers. If some of the forum members provide extremely useful content, I might tap them to write a guest post on the blog. It’s just another way to get readers involved with the site.

Forum Content

I’ve created boards that parallel the categories on the blog. So there’s a board for discussing relationships and family, dressing and grooming, health and sports, a man’s life, man skills, and career and finances. I’ve also added boards called “The Garage” where you can discuss and ask questions about cars, tools, and machines and “Man Gear” where you can discuss and show off your man equipment.

One board that I’m really excited about is “The Virtuous Life.” I’m hoping it can be a place where we can discuss and provide support in our progress in living Ben Franklin’s Virtues.

If you have any more ideas for forum topics and organizations, please drop a line in the discussion feedback board.

How to sign up

In order to use the forums, you’ll have to do a quick registration. You’ll need to pick a username, password, and provide your email. Don’t worry. Your email is safe from spammers. After you do the initial registration, you should get an email asking you to confirm your registration. After that, you’re ready to go.

Again, I encourage all of you to sign up today. The more people we have in the discussion, the better.

1 Stian April 22, 2008 at 8:28 am

A stroke of genuis, I say! :D

2 Marcus April 23, 2008 at 8:45 pm

It really would be quite helpful, I can’t wait.

3 Joseph246 September 23, 2008 at 7:36 am

Half of human life is consumed only through sleep. All that’s left are used for waking hours. Some people achieve this bar, others exceed. But there are those who don’t and who simply cant.

These are the snorers. People with obstructed sleep that often deprives them of restful dreams and normal waking hours.

Even when these people hope for rested bedtimes, snoring will continue to linger until they are left with no choice but find treatments.

But you see, there are literally so many ways to temporarily or permanently eliminate this loud, disturbing noise. Only, you have to find them and be willing to exchange risks if needed.

The first step you would like to follow is to evaluate what type of snorer you are. Knowledge of the cause is, in general, helpful in facilitating the cures. This is better illustrated with health conditions for which the root causes are unidentifiable. Often, these don’t have immediate cures which tend to exacerbate the condition first until everything else is left to fate.

If you are overweight, try reducing some pounds. Most obese persons seem to have developed snoring. This is because they have highly decreased space in their respiratory tracts. Thus, more vibration is likely to occur. Add to this the fact that their air passages are fleshier which elevates the likelihood of creating further resonance in the sound.

Avoid taking relaxant substances immediately before sleep. Too much relaxation in the muscle of the throat is known to cause the blockages since the muscles can possibly flip-flap better when relaxed. This also explains why we only experience snoring when sleeping since the muscles at this state are relaxed. People with this condition are often advised to sleep lightly while keeping a tensed state so muscles are put into proper order.

Refrain from eating dairy products right before you sleep, these can help build up mucus in your air passages.

A classic knowledge among snorers is that sleeping on the back further initiate snoring. It is advisable that one keeps a side sleep position.

While it may not directly cure snoring, following a strict and regular sleep routine will help regulate your sleep. If you lack sleep from the other night’s snoring accounts, this can be compensated by forming a more regular sleep pattern.

Minimize the softness of your pillows. This would contribute to the non-relaxed state of your neck during sleep. Remember that snoring roots from too relaxed throat muscles.

By all means, moisturize your throat and lessen the congestion.

Smoking does not only kill the lungs, it also causes the cells lining the tissue of your throat to develop into a form not fit for accommodating further nuisance. This then leads to irritation that is a contributing factor to snoring. Smoking also causes inflammation and swelling in the respiratory tract.

Nasal strips are effective in reducing snoring since these products create wider airflow by opening up nostrils. Anti-snoring sprays and pills might also be effective too.

There are hundreds of snoring devices available both online and offline. This type of treatment range from adjustable beds to nasal valve dilators.

Don’t be surprised if some products wont work for you. But you see, in general they always do. After all, they were created and patented to fit your exact needs to facilitate treatment of your nocturnal dilemma.

4 motercalo May 1, 2010 at 10:51 am

Le commentaire systématique du cwatup vous évite aussi de nombreuses recherches dans différentes publications. grâce à la formule des feuillmotercalos mobiles,

5 insendysledge May 29, 2010 at 9:17 pm

You may have learned about the gigantic oil leak outside of the Gulf. Ya think it will have a very substantial negative effect on our animal population around Mexico?

6 HokLowstoog June 19, 2010 at 12:21 pm

The lakers beat the boston celtics in match 7 of the this year nba finals. I dropped $110 at the game, you fellas wager sports? Any tips for newbies?