- The Art of Manliness - http://www.artofmanliness.com -
How to Open a Stuck Jar Lid
Posted By Brett and Kate McKay On January 19, 2008 @ 10:01 am In Manly Skills | 51 Comments
It’s Sunday afternoon and you are sitting in your man chair, in your man robe, reading your man newspaper. It’s your wife’s turn to cook today. (That’s right. You share in the cooking duties at your house. Manly men know how to cook. Especially meat.) To keep things simple, she’s whipping up some spaghetti and a nice side salad to go with it. And then you hear it: “Dear, I can’t get the lid to the spaghetti sauce jar to open. It’s stuck. Can you open it for me?”
Are you ready for moments like these? Here are five techniques to show off your man skills and open a stuck jar lid every time.
1. Brute force. This technique simply requires you to use your manly strength to twist open the jar lid. You get extra points if you do it without the assistance of a rag.
2. Wrap the lid in a dish towel or rubber glove. If brute force doesn’t work, give your self some extra traction by wrapping the lid in dish rag, or better yet, a rubber glove.
3. Break the vacuum seal. If the bottle is new and still vacuumed sealed, breaking the seal makes the lid easier to open. You can do this by using a bottle opener and pulling the lid away from the jar.
4. Run the lid under hot water. Running the lid under hot water for a minute will cause the metal to expand so the lid comes off more easily.
5. Tap the lid with a spoon. Sometimes food gets stuck in the lid which in turn causes the lid to get stuck. Give the lid a few quick taps on the side with a spoon in order to dislodge any food.
Image by How Can I Recycle This? 
Article printed from The Art of Manliness: http://www.artofmanliness.com
URL to article: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/01/19/how-to-open-a-stuck-jar-lid/
URLs in this post:
 How Can I Recycle This?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/recyclethis/
Copyright 2010 The Art of Manliness. All rights reserved.