Return of the Tough Guy

by Brett and Kate McKay on January 14, 2008 · 60 comments

in A Man's Life

rambo1.jpgThe New York Times ran an interesting article yesterday about the resurgence of tough guy icons from the 1980s. Action stars like Sylvester Stallone and Chuck Norris are returning to prominence in pop culture. The author of the article suggests the reason for the return of the action hero the need of American men “to revel in the vestigial pleasures of older times and seemingly simpler ways.”

I think the author is on to something. That’s one of the reasons I started The Art of Manliness. With all the problems we’re facing today, real men are needed more than ever. Sure, some of the stuff I write one here is tongue-in-cheek. However, I do hope the blog will inspire young men to put down the X-Box controller and start doing something with their lives.

I hope that men expand who they include as role models beyond action stars. As much as I love Rambo, Sylvester Stallone isn’t what I would call the paragon of manliness. Would a manly man inject their face with Botox? Hell no. I’d love to see a resurgence in interest in great men from history like Teddy Roosevelt or Horatio Nelson. One of my goals with this blog is to reintroduce men to these great individuals.

What do you all think? Is it good that these action heroes are making a comeback? Drop a line in the comment box and add to the conversation!

1 Rahul January 14, 2008 at 6:15 am

Diversification of role models is definitely a good thing, and I must congratulate you on this blog because I too have really felt the lack of good mens’ journalism. But like you said, action heroes are a little limited in how much we can take from them.

Nothing beats finding a real life mentor of manliness. I mean traditionally, you learned the Art from your father, uncles etc.. but people of our generation and younger go through that rite of passage a lot less, what with changing job timings etc.

People are really missing out on that apprenticeship, so screen and historical models of manliness are becoming increasingly important.

2 Brett McKay January 14, 2008 at 7:49 am

Rahul-
Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I agree with you 100% that men today have few real life mentors and few rites of passage to manhood. I hope The Art of Manliness can encourage men to recapture this lost tradition of passing along manly wisdom to others and encourage men to seek real life role models to emulate.

Take care,
Brett

3 The Scam January 14, 2008 at 12:31 pm

I sat down to think about, and I couldn’t come up with a “man’s man” of an actor for this generation. the fact that Rambo has to be resurrected doesn’t bode well for originality and that they couldn’t find anyone besides the 70 year old stallone to play him.

hopefully someone hard core will come on the scene. russell crowe is about as close as it gets these days. or christian bale.

4 Brett McKay January 14, 2008 at 12:58 pm

@ the scam-

I agree. How about Matt Damon? His role as Jason Bourne has definitely made him an action star.

5 Paul January 14, 2008 at 6:07 pm

Hell no, botox is bad for women, nevermind men. That’s just plain bad – you only need to look at Sly’s mother to understand why.

Matt Damon – no, I don’t think so. He’s too clean-cut. He’s hardly got the same look as Al Pacino (albeit, he’s a bit too short), or Sam L Jackson who could kill you with a single blow, by the looks of it.

Christian Bale is the same – too clean-cut.

It’s maybe a Hollywood thing now, because when you think back 20-30 years most of the actors were real men’s men. Now they’re all a bit soft :)

Brad Pitt is the #1 candidate I would say, from the Hollywood circuit. He plays rough looking parts just the same as the clean-cut Ocean look. I can’t imagine Matt Damon or Christian Bale playing the pyscho in Kalifornia like Pitt did.

Got to go – I’m having a facial in half an hour :)

6 Brett McKay January 14, 2008 at 7:44 pm

@ Paul-

I’ll agree with you on Brad Pitt. I thought he was just a pretty boy, but Fight Club definitely earned him some street cred in my book.

I’m still going to stand by Matt Damon. Yeah he’s clean cut, but come, Jason Bourne will chase you down on roof tops, take a few bullets, and then kill you with a towel. All without saying a word. That’s pretty bad ass. :)

A facial? Are you asking me to put you on the commentor black list? ;)

7 Kate January 14, 2008 at 8:46 pm

Where have all the tough guys gone? A few years ago there was an article about the resurgence of the action hero, and it mentioned Vin Diesel and The Rock as examples. But they both fizzled out.

Now leading men are effeminate types like Orlando Bloom. Who makes a lot of ladies swoon, but not this one.

I think Damon and Bale come close. I also nominate Daniel Day-Lewis as a manly leading man. He doesn’t play tough guys or role models per se, but he exudes a manly, smoldering ferocity in all his roles.

8 Paul January 14, 2008 at 9:04 pm

@ Kate

Daniel Day-Lewis….. good choice! He was brilliant in that IRA movie he did and exceptional as Bill The Butcher in Gangs Of New York.

@ Brett

Tomorrow I’ll shave with a cut-throat razor and do a few press-ups on my knuckles to make up for pandering to my feminine side today :)

9 The Scam January 15, 2008 at 7:37 am

the rock? – i used to respect him until he started doing kid movies. same with vin diesel, but i think his best movie was saving private ryan.

brad pitt is as much a pretty boy as they come. his early stuff, maybe. now he’s too concerned about his cuticles. did you see him in troy? it was like they took every opportunity possible to have him look longingly into the distance while the wind blew his beautiful blonde locks. please.

daniel day-lewis is pretty hardcore. gangs of new york, last of the mohicans. he gets my vote.

i watched the godfather last week. i wish they would make movies like that more often. nowadays i just feel exploited and that hollywood doesn’t give my intelligence enough credit to follow a compelling story that doesn’t involve multiple explosions.

10 Paul January 17, 2008 at 12:31 am

@ The Scam

If you like Daniel Day Lewis’s movies and the Godfather, you should check out some of the British cinema releases from the last couple of years.

Films like….

Green Street
The Football Factory

(both soccer related, but good all the same)

A Very British Gangster

(film of the year in my opinion)

And….

This Is England

(officially the #1 film of the year)

There’s none of the Hollywood girly type actors or scripts here – just proper hardcore man’s stuff.

The latter two are amazing films!

~ Paul

11 LP January 18, 2008 at 10:04 am

I think the most recent Bond movie bears this out… the series kept getting more and more ridiculous and the character became more of a characterization. But Casino Royale got it right and reintroduced Bond as a man’s man.

So, Daniel Craig is the actor I would offer, not only as Bond, but in movies like Layer Cake as well.

12 Larryedit January 25, 2008 at 5:26 am

Say what you will, I like Antonio Banderas. I hope he’s not too old for consideration here. Liked him in The Mark of Zorro, and Desperado, and The 13th Warrior. There’s a great sequence in TMOZ where Anthony Hopkins (the original Zorro) is breaking Banderas (the new Zorro) of the cocky habits of his drunken youth, and teaching him to fight and to master the sword. And, even more importantly, mastery of self.
Like a grown-up version of The Karate Kid. 8^)

BTW the Vikings in The 13th Warrior are hilarious.

13 Brett McKay January 25, 2008 at 3:03 pm

@ Larryedit- Antonio Banderas was pretty awesome in Desperado and 13th Warrior. I think he did lose some tough guy cred after staring in Spy Kids, though.

I like the analogy of The Mask of Zoro as the grown up version of the Karate Kid. :)

14 Brad February 1, 2008 at 9:56 am

I know I might get knocked around for this a little, but what about Jason Statham, Clive Owen, or Vinnie Jones. Not that I’m a huge fan of British actors, but these guys all immeidately jump to mind when I think of a “Man’s man”. Especially Owen after seeing “Shoot Em Up”, and catching a short film he shot for BMW awhile back where he drives Madonna around and generally treats her like a primadonna whore shoulkd be treated.

15 Carl February 5, 2008 at 1:39 pm

I would agree with Jason Statham 100%. He’s purely badass. I can’t help think we’re working at cross purposes as we complain about the lack of “manly” actors and include smiley faces in our posts……..yes?

16 William Flannigan February 10, 2008 at 6:12 pm

I Second Vinnie Jones. If you need proof, watch Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.

17 RS February 12, 2008 at 9:37 am

Right on. I’m tired of men being portrayed as being whimpy, easy to manipulate, pussi-whipped, in the movies. We need more Rocky, Rambo, Vin Diesel, types.

18 monsoojio February 20, 2008 at 4:33 pm

Tony jaa. we need more of him

19 James February 20, 2008 at 6:03 pm

Who needs role models? Movies are art, not reality.

All these people, actors and historical figures alike, were just working and doing what they were moved to do.

Know yourself and give yourself credit for whatever you can do well, and know that you can surprise yourself more than you realize.

This is why:

The thing inside you that makes you enjoy watching these actors’ films is the same thing that is trying to drive you to become able to rely on yourself and defend yourself and, most of all, become what you wish you were as the person you are now.

It doesn’t matter what your limitations are, or what you think they are. Every person has something that gives them an advantage, and it may be obvious, or it may be subtle.

Some people seem to live their whole lives never knowing just how it is that they get it right or wrong. This is found by knowing yourself with brutal honesty. The opposite of it is reliance on your own ego, and it will stop you from finding the answer because your ego says you already have it. Wrong. It has to be found and held onto every day, and it pays off, every day of your life.

20 Vern Fonk February 21, 2008 at 8:08 am

As for Brad Bitt. I don’t think that flaking out on your wife to trapse around the world adopting babies is very manly.

21 Brett February 21, 2008 at 5:24 pm

@Vern Fronk-

I agree with you that Brad is not a great example of true manliness. A true man is faithful to his wife and doesn’t shirk responsibility. The point of the post was not to hold up Pitt as a example of manliness, but to simply use him to make the point that if a girl is into you, she will say yes. You can subsitute any man in there-Russell Crowe, Tom Cruise, ect.

22 Gary Slaughter March 29, 2008 at 6:16 pm

Just found your blog a week ago. I love it and wanted to weigh in on this discussion. For convenience I’ll just list my favorites and what I think are their best movies.

Sean Connery – I’m surprised no one has mentioned him yet. He set the example for clean-cut dangerous men, and has aged better than most. Besides ‘Goldfinger’ my favorites are ‘The Rock’ and ‘The Presidio’. In ‘The Presidio’ he’s an army Provost Marshal and when a big guy in a bar picks a fight with him he puts the clown in his place just using thumb strikes to vulnerable areas.

I hated that his character got killed in ‘The Untouchables’.

He has had some stinkers. ‘Zardoz’ and ‘Family Business’ spring to mind. And in ‘Finding Forrester’ he played a reclusive author with agoraphobia. At one point he was cowering in a closet.

Clint Eastwood – At his best in ‘Two Mules for Sister Sara’ and the first two ‘Dirty Harry’ movies.

Daniel Craig – Best Bond ever. And that’s from someone who thought no one was as good as Connery. I agree with LP, the Bond series was getting ridiculous.

Chuck Norris – I like him because in real life he’s a genuine, decent type of guy. He just can’t act that well.

Russell Crowe – Great in ‘Proof of Life’.

Jason Statham – ‘The Transporter’ (I and II, although II was more comic-book like.)

Honorable Mention:

Tony Jaa – Good, but needs some age and seasoning. Maybe I’m prejudiced because I’m 55.

Jet Li – Great in ‘Lethal Weapon IV’. He’s had other good movies, but I think his best was ‘Unleashed’. Even though he wasn’t the lone take-charge type of manly man in it, he showed great strength of spirit in it.

Charles Bronson – ‘The Mechanic’.

23 Ethan May 21, 2008 at 3:17 pm

Eh… Sean Connery is great, as is Russel Crowe.

I’d point out that some of these guys have played slightly less-than-manly roles, but that doesn’t make them any less manly themselves. It just shows their skill and versatility as actors. I mean, I’d admire a man who does his job, does it well and brings home the bacon for his family even if he has to cower in a closet more than a man who only plays one character, even if he does it well. These single-character type guys tend to have serious egos, as an added downer.

Brad Pit… No. He may be a good actor, but he lacks the other manly traits.

24 Joe May 21, 2008 at 4:54 pm

I think this Man may be a little too recent but Harrison Ford I believe has some merit.

25 Joe June 12, 2008 at 8:02 am

Two of the most manly movie depictions of real heroes are, without a doubt, We Were Soldiers and Cinderella Man.

We Were Soldiers: Mel Gibson as Hal Moore, a good family man that was also one of the best combat leaders in Vietnam. Teach the kiddies to pray and be good, then go kill some bad guys and defend America? Very manly.

Cinderella Man, despite the questionable title, is again about a good family man. Russell Crowe as Jim Braddock shows a man that teaches his kids about honesty and stuff, slaves to feed them, and beats the crap out of guys in the boxing ring. Towards the middle of the movie, with nothing else he can do, he swallows his pride and does what he has to do to provide for his family. Family first, and then beat some jerk up; also very manly.

It’s not a movie, but Dick Winters in Band of Brothers. ‘Nuff said.

26 I am Dion June 20, 2008 at 10:51 pm

@ Joe

i totally agree with all your statements. Dick Winters is, in my mind, one of the best examples of leadership, manliness and heroic butt kicking the world has ever seen.

27 Neil Simpson July 7, 2008 at 7:31 am

Interesting that you are all picking actors as role models, no one from life.

Interesting no one has mentioned Morgan Freeman, Sidney Poitiers or Denzel Washington three of the most dignified and talented actors to come out of the USA in recent history.

From life you could include: Malcolm X, Muhammad Ali or Martin Luther King

All gentlemen of the highest degree and men who stood for what they believed in despite the personal sacrifice involved.

28 Gary July 7, 2008 at 1:38 pm

Have to agree with Neil, especially with citing Denzel Washington. The only role I didn’t like him in was the rogue drug cop in “Training Day”, and he was a complete bastard in that one.

I’m surprised I forgot about Harrison Ford. When he’s not Indiana Jones or Han Solo his character is quiet, but effective. It just killed me when he got a diamond stud for his ear.

29 Tom July 9, 2008 at 3:08 pm

All this talk of great manly actors from yesteryear, and not one mention of Burt Reynolds? Smokey and the Bandit, The Longest Yard, DELIVERANCE for pity’s sake? Pay the man some respect!

30 C.S. Humble July 14, 2008 at 8:09 am

Where have the real action heroes gone?

Douglas Fairbanks- The Original Action Hero
Basil Rathbone- Maybe the Cinema’s greatest swashbuckler
Tyrone Power- Another amazing manly man.

The simple fact, and one that you have pointed out well on this site, is that men are simply too lazy to learn the arts that used to make being a man something honorable. Time has become the master, not quality. There is a point in which men cross the line from being Barbarians, into Warriors, even further into Warrior-Poets then Back into a form of Barbarism which could be interpreted as slavery to our dollars.

Bring back pride in what we do, and thus you will find a more faithful and enduring man to look up to.

31 Britt August 5, 2008 at 3:18 pm

Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas, now there are two manly men from the movies… Who would you compare to these two tough guys?

32 Tim August 9, 2008 at 4:02 pm

There is a shift occuring in society where men are fed up w/ the male pansies Hollywood and Madison avenue have been producing lately – especially since the 90s – these so-called alpha-males or men declaring they’re metrosexual. it’s great seeing Mr. T, Hulk Hogan, The Incredible Hulk, Chuck, and Sly gracing the celluloid and TV Spots again.
Radio Talk Show Host, Dennis Prager, dedicated an hour to the topic of men in movies not long ago where he compared yesteryears John Wayne to current pop-star, Tom Cruise – is there any question of the seismic difference in masculinity between them? and also he contrasted Sean Connery’s James Bond with that of Daniel Craig’s. Prager noted a picture he saw of Craig in swimming trunks showed him as hairless as a woman, while Connery proudly showed his chest, arm, and leg hair.

33 Sam August 11, 2008 at 5:27 am

In looking at the list of today’s actors, I can’t think of very many “manly men” in leading roles. Mel Gibson is one that comes to mind, not only for “We Were Soldiers” (an excellent movie) but for “Braveheart” and “The Passion of the Christ” as well. Viggo Mortenson played an excellent Aragorn in the “Lord of the Rings” movies, and I think that Sean Astin’s Samwise was a paragon of masculine virtues: strength, loyalty, courage, etc in those movies.

I can’t stand pretty boy Brad Pitt or Matt Damon or Ben Affleck — all of them fail the true test of manhood: standing up for the weakest among us (ie, the unborn). They are pro-death Hollywood libs preening in their Prii (plural of Prius).

34 Keith October 19, 2008 at 1:45 pm

I watched an interesting video the other day in my Juvenile Delinquency class that dealt with a similar topic. The film was called “Tough Guise” and I highly suggest every man, as well as woman, watch it to better understand how we view masculinity in our society. It focuses on what we consider manly and why and how we need to change our perceptions of masculinity today. I thought of this site immediately. Amazing film, check it out.

35 Greg October 19, 2008 at 6:32 pm

@The Scam
I think that Denzel Washington fulfills the role of man very well. In Man on Fire, Inside Job and others, he is quite a man.

36 Jon October 20, 2008 at 2:18 am

What about Gerard Butler he has played a wide veriaty of manly roles. From Tomb Raider, 300, Timeline, Beowulf and Grendal. Showing the rough rugged alpha male. To Nim’s Island showing the loving father fighting to get back to his daughter.

To me this range from leader, protector, to father provides a good representation of manliness without being the slick pretty boy.

37 SARGE October 24, 2008 at 3:54 am

@C.S. Humble

C’mon..not ONE for John Wayne???

im fairly certain Brad Pitt and Matt Damon have vaginas..”young hollyweird” has a definite lack of testosterone these days .. same as rock stars.. the hard drinking manly men like Jagger, Lemmy, Van Zandt, etc have been replaced by the ‘sensitive,artistic manufactured pop’ bullshit

men are afraid to speak their minds lately..afraid of offending someone or appearing ‘un-pc’

end of the day..say what you mean.. mean what you say..know who you are and be true to it no matter who it pisses off.. its actually OK to harken back to your Neanderthal roots guys… facial scrubs and scented shower gels are for the metrosexual pretty boys .. revel in your body hair and fart proudly

38 larryedit October 24, 2008 at 7:59 am

Here, here, Sarge! John Wayne!

I appreciate everything you said. I have to admit, tho, that I liked Matt Damon in the Bourne trilogy. Intense. But I am unfamiliar with his personal beliefs.

Lots of great comments throughout this thread. Makes me want to go rent some movies from yesteryear with guys like Douglas Fairbanks, Tyrone Power, or Burt Lancaster. Not familiar with their classic work. I have seen Burt Lancaster, but in more recent work. Anyway, good stuff!

39 Mike November 2, 2008 at 10:16 am

Like Neil, I find it interesting that we look to actors for representations of manliness. These men are acting and it seems more appropriate to look at the characters they are representing. For example, look at the character John Wayne played and remember, he was a draft dodger in WWII and was married 4 times. Brad Pitt is pro-choice, so do not look at him, look at the character he portrays.

Who can we look at in real life? Neil gave some good examples. Other good examples are Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan and George H. Bush. Especially the first President Bush – WWII vet and a gentleman. Jimmy Carter is a Naval Academy graduate, nuclear engineer and also a gentleman.

The title of the blog is “Return of the Tough Guy.” The analysis says we are looking for real men to emulate. It’s too bad young men have to look outside their families to find real men. So many women are choosing to be single mothers it is becoming an American cultural tragedy.

Lucky is the boy who has a veteran and a gentleman for a father. He has both a proven tough guy and good emotional intelligence to emulate.

40 swilly November 29, 2008 at 3:09 pm

cagney!!

41 muddy999 November 29, 2008 at 6:36 pm

I do not look any further than my grandfather. He enlisted for WWII and was knocked back for a heart condition. Instead of whining, he signed on in the mobile cinema with the army showing the trailers and movies to troops on leave. He was gutted that he could not fight with his mates, but went and served as best he could anyway. Owing to the distances he covered in Australia he often had to live very rough and was confronted with issues with equipment not being suited to the country. Because he did not actually fire a rifle in anger he never claimed his medals that were due and his proudest moment during the war… managing to drive his truck without damaging it. If I had my way, I would claim them for him as he deserved them, but he maintained to his death his beliefs and I can only respect that.

You could give the man anything and he could fix it, he was amazing with his hands and took a great deal of pride and effort in maintaining his equipment. Always the consumate gentleman, he never said a bad word about anyone and always remebered his manners and treated ladies as they should be. He worked hard all of his life and provided for his family and I have nothing but respect for the man. My grandfather put great store in being self sufficient, educated and had a strong faith. Not a braggart, quiet and reserved, none the less, he was a true man in every sense of the word! I look at many men in Hollywood and I am sorry but most of todays crop, whilst they play the man, could not keep up with the men of my grandfathers calibre.

42 drew November 29, 2008 at 7:01 pm

i agree with mike. My dad left when i was 7 and im now 22 but as ive grown up the idea of a dad and a manly role model just becomes more appealing. Over time ive used role models but strangely enough the most influential has been my older brother. It doesn’t concern me as much as it did but that relationship is something i will never have. And at 7 years old i can hardly remember him or any lessons he may have given. I guess im just fortunate to have cool brothers and they probably feel the same. I dont use movies for role models but if there was one i could think of it would be the spaceman farmer. Or farmer spaceman? Has anyone else seen it. Its not an action movie but i think the characteristics at least portray a good role model for his family.

43 Fred Neal December 22, 2008 at 2:43 pm

I Think you are on to something good,Rambo was entertaining and Chuck is a real man as far as i can see, but there are so many other men through-out history that can be held out as good examples.

44 Chris in NYC February 21, 2009 at 11:52 am

Of course your wouldnt think Stallone is a tough guy, you are the same douche that put Harry Reid on your list of Greatest American Men. This blog has promise, but since its written by a sissy liberal, most of the articles are crap. Real mean dont have to tor want to talk about their “manliness”

45 Tim February 25, 2009 at 5:08 am

If you look to Hollywood for tough guys you will be sorely disappointed or perhaps deceived. The people in Hollywood are professional deceivers. No tough guys there. Muscles do not make one tough. Pretending to be tough does not make one tough. Facing and bracing adversity is the mark of toughness. Check the History Channel.

46 dsheppard February 25, 2009 at 5:09 am

While I also have some problems with actors as male role models, that’s the thrust of the post, so I’ll offer my own pick: Did no one see Die Hard? Bruce Willis is the quintessential man’s man in almost everything he plays: Die Hard, The Last Boy Scout, Day in the Sun, even The Fifth Element (“Anybody else wanna negotiate?”).

The epitome of the working-man hero from Jersey.

47 Deadmens February 25, 2009 at 7:18 am

What are we most of us talking about here? Actors.
You will find real men out working on farms (which are disappearing quickly) trying to scrape out a living, operating excavators, rigging steel beams, busting their knuckles repairing diesel engines, and tucking their little ones in at night – not primping for hours before mirrors with an army of make-up specialists trying to get just the right look before they prance out before the camera for a few minutes. What we seem to be obsessed with is image, while we are starving to find, and striving to be, the real thing. There are real men we run into everyday. But Hollywod isn’t the place to find them. Let’s get real.

48 will October 13, 2009 at 7:56 pm

zac efron hahaha

49 Daniel March 15, 2010 at 5:46 am

Brett, I love this blog but have noticed a bit of incongruence here… perhaps you could clarify it for us. Maybe I just don’t get it, but Matt Damon is somewhat discounted for being too clean-cut, yet we avidly read posts about having shiny shoes, clean-shaven jaws from old-school barbers, how to iron shirts, and, for Pete’s sake, wearing a hat. I’m sure many of us aspire to Matt Damon’s level of manliness – clean-cut, fit, skilled, loaded, and still approachable, likeable, etc., so why do some of us discount his manliness? I don’t see the logic here.

Besides that, thanks for some great articles recently. Nice work!

50 Kyle Triplett March 16, 2010 at 12:32 am

I just have to say that Oliver North is a very manly man. Awesome guy to meet as well. Look him up if you don’t know him.

51 Sandeep March 17, 2010 at 9:46 am

Oh hell yeah…its mighty good….

52 Tom March 18, 2010 at 12:08 am

What about Tommy Lee Jones? I thought his role in The Fugitive was dead on about as manly as it gets. I still think of that character when I need a bit of testosterone

53 Spencer Nickson March 19, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Good Lord, people – enough already with dissecting actors. Not a very manly pursuit. Heroes are willing to take unpopular stances, defend them and push on. You can start with Atticus Finch and go from there…Rambo was a cartoon character and Chuck Norris was just an agitated punk.

54 Murdoch March 31, 2010 at 2:48 pm

I’ve gotta say the manliest man, I know is the woodshop and boat building teacher at the School I taught at in Mass for two years. He knew himself. He treated everyone, even the kids with issues with dignity and respect. He is a loving father and grandfather. He believes hard in a faith that is his own, even though it is shared. He was also the captain of several fishing vessels and a tall ship. He had seen more and done more than anyone I have ever met, and yet he lives with utter humility. Real men are in the communities around us, not in hollywood. Look to those men for role models, look to hollywood heroes to be entertained, that’s all.

55 claymor April 6, 2010 at 12:33 am

Shackleton in real life, Gregory Peck in to kill a mocking bird, and my dad because he is the most “Addicus Finch” type of man I have ever known. My dad is 5’8″, a little portly and self educated, but he’s a look-you-in-the-pupils, always-do-the-right-thing kind of guy. He knew how to be a provider, father, and mentor to others. He taught me many good principles to live by but I think the one that has helped me the most is this one: when and how to apologize like a man.

give it some thought.

56 Derek April 18, 2010 at 3:08 am

“Would a manly man inject themself with Botox? Hell no.”
He would get Botox if he wanted to and not worry about whether or not you liked it. Because that’s what manly men do.
Insecure men, on the other hand, spend their time wondering what manly men would do. Just saying. :-)

57 Jory April 22, 2010 at 11:58 am

Thank you for creating this website. I facilitate therapeutic groups for adolescent men and these topics are great for discussion. These boys have never had a positive role model and it is my job to create that healthy relationship with them. These topics discuss exactly what these kids are missing. They love them, especially the dating topics. Thanks guys.

58 jerry May 21, 2013 at 1:04 pm

If you want to see a manly man watch ‘The Road”.

59 wernz August 1, 2013 at 10:40 am

Ryan Gosling is bringing old style action movies back as in Drive…chewing on a match and not saying a word for the biggest part of the movie reminds me of Stallone movies

60 Cal April 10, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Russell Crowe in Gladiator

Daniel Day Lewis in Last of the Mohicans

Liam Neeson in most of his movies

Jason Statham